check valves on shower hose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
Can someone explain why a double check valve is not acceptable for protection against cat 5 fluid risk? Example in question is a shower wand hose which can fall into bath so cat 3 but its also next to a bidet.

Sponsored Links
Why do you think it's not?

Is your mixer fed from the mains, both hot and cold (combi boiler)?

I think if the shower hose is properly restrained, thereby shortening its potential reach so it can't reach a cat 5 fitment (bog/bidet/urinal) it is treated as cat 3.

Sponsored Links
Thats the thing, its not got a restraining clip and the level at which the customer wants it means that it could dangle into the bath. Also there is a bidet alongside the bath which the head could be dropped into. I could put check valves on to satisfy cat 3 but not sure about the bidet? Maybe a shower screen would solve it but i don't know that he wants one.

yea i could do but the customer doesn't really want one because it defeats the object of being able to be in the bath and wash their hair etc.

Long as you fit it to regs when you finish the job then it's up to them if they remove it.

Same on electric showers i always use them but 9/10 times the hose has been removed from it when i have returned at a later date.

Well i have explained this to them so i guess its up to them what they do after i have finished. At least they know the risks so they can make a decision based on that.

check valves on to satisfy cat 3 but not sure about the bidet?
Bidet, cat 5, although why washing your feet turns the water into cat 5 I have no idea.

Anglian water suggest turning the bath through 180 degrees, but you can't use an upside-down bath.

yea i could do but the customer doesn't really want one because it defeats the object of being able to be in the bath and wash their hair etc.

You are being paid to do a job as a professional its your responsibility to ensure it meets standards, fit the hose in the clip,
If the customer wants to take the clip off thats up to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back