Circulating pump is pumping over to expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a problem with pumping over. The pump is sited on the return just before the boiler and both are sited across the garden in a store. The cold feed is before the pump in the return - 15M before the pump. The expansion pipe is in the flow situated as the pipe work comes into the house and before the zone valve posistions (3 of on "Y" plan). It is extremely hard to alter the pipe work and the expansion pipe runs across the apex of the loft (bungalow). It would be easiest to change the expansion pipe so it was in the return 5M before the pump. This would give - cold water feed - 10M - Expansion Pipe - 5M - Pump/Boiler. Any problems with this? I know its not ideal but could the pump just be reversed so that the hot water comes out of the return of the boiler? Thanks :?:

Sponsored Links
You cannot have feed or vent pipe with 'fitting' between the tees for same and the boiler. In other words, a pump, a motorised valve or any other valve that introduces resistance, cannot be located between vent tee/ feed tee and the boiler.

When the boiler boils over due to fault condition, the vent must discharge without any impedence. Same goes for feed pipe- after discharge feed brings water to the boiler. Slow that down or even stop it, you have a good chance of killing the boiler.

Think of relocating the pump and the motorised valves after the vent and feed connections

Click on the link to see a sketch of the pipe layout and what I would really like to do if it would cure the problem.

The pipe work is tight in the airing cupboard and because there are three zone valves it is very hard to alter the pipework. The boiler is also 20 metres away in an outhouse.
thanks
fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back