City and Guilds NVQ Level 3 Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right I'll try and keep this as short as possible. Started the above course in August 2011. Unfortunately due to the time I was registered onto the course by my firm I was put on this new syllabus set by C&G. Its still a two year course- allegedly. Anyway, fast track to the present day I'm still at College every Friday. This has nothing to do with my intelligence and everything to do with C&G in the first instance and latterly the ineptness of the college and some of its tutors.

We're being dicked about basically. I'm in the ACS centre tomorrow and Friday- today being the first day. However there are going to be at least another couple of months finishing portfolio's etc- that's if my firm is able to play ball with the tutor coming out for on site assessments etc

Despite the fact that the gas qualifications are an entirely different qualification to the NVQ Level 3 we've been told many a time you shan't receive your gas papers til all portfolio work is completed.

Does anyone know how legally true this is? I've asked my tutor who's a quality bloke but naturally he's telling me you can't.

I'd love to be able to pass on Friday and take my papers and run to finally put an end to financially struggling through no fault of my own.

Sponsored Links
Not true, I still haven't got my Nvq 3 certs. I have completed it just didn't hand the folder in until last november, still waiting for the cert.. I have had my gas tickets since 2011. Gas safe registration is part of finishing nvq three, as is unvented ticket etc. I did my acs and about a month later, tickets came through from bpec I rang gas safe and off I went :D

The college are worried because a lot of boys used to get lvl 2, get unvented ticket and acs tickets. They'd get GS registered and fook off from college.

If you don't complete lvl three the college aren't able to say you completed the course and can't claim as much funding. That's what was happening at my college anyway.

Good luck :D

Cheers for the reply. When did you start your level 3 though? I shouldve added that my tutor told me on the 'old' course (the date between the 2 is somewhere around summer 2011) you COULD do as you did.

Another thing you've reminded me of- C&G are currently chopping and changing their minds as to whether unvented will be incorporated in this present qualification. Its an absolute joke. I couldn't give a monkeys about the unvented aspect I'd happily pay that myself.

If I was able to afford it now I'd genuinely sack the course off and go to the ACS centre my firm use and get through the gas out my own pocket. Unfortunately I can't afford to

Sponsored Links
The college are worried because a lot of boys used to get lvl 2, get unvented ticket and acs tickets. They'd get GS registered and fook off from college.

If you don't complete lvl three the college aren't able to say you completed the course and can't claim as much funding. That's what was happening at my college anyway.

Good luck :D

I appreciate that its all down to the funding which is what my college tutor said. However, due to the fact that I'm 1. 27 2. Only had one years worth of funding left after doing a years worth of the old level 3 course back in 08 before being made redundant and 3. We're now around 8 months over the prescribed 2 year course I'm not sure the college will receive funding through me finishing anyway.

I was one of the last on the old course, as we were finishing the first year boys were on the new course. A lot more in depth apparently? And don't you pick gas oil or renewables?

Bloody pain if even the people setting the course can't decide what your supposed to learn!

I was one of the last on the old course, as we were finishing the first year boys were on the new course. A lot more in depth apparently? And don't you pick gas oil or renewables?

Bloody pain if even the people setting the course can't decide what your supposed to learn!

Without knocking people on the old course I'd done a years worth on it and can categorically say this is much harder. 16 weeks of electrical work/exams being one example. Allegedly took us to just below Part P standard. The tutors were literally teaching us stuff they'd only been taught/told to teach one week before teaching us.

Its too late to rewind back to 2008 now but knowing what I do now in 2011 I'd have certainly asked the question.

Oh and LPG is covered in this course too. But noone at our college teaches LPG.

NVQ 3 workshop still hasn't been fitted accordingly. Come to think of it I could well be here come july.

I was tempted to ask my bosses to take it out kyvwages but why should they? They're getting good work from me charging me out at a blokes wage whilst paying me (good) apprentice wages.

I did lpg when doing my natural gas for a smaller fee. I was nearly put on the new course for level 3!

I have been doing this NVQ malarkey for like 7 years now! I didn't go to college properly at lvl 2 stage (was too busy working) lost my job and went labouring. I then finished my 2 working for a council, own van doing a blokes work for crap wages £160 a week! then I got my gas working with my uncle. Its been long winded!

25 now, work for myself and for the first time making good money, wouldn't do another job!

I think it's good that it's gotten harder, I asked a couple of times about when were we going to learn how to wire c/h systems and told we don't! what a joke, I learnt it all from other plumbers. Get into the cc once your registered. I did and I soon learnt I know naff all compared to some!

It definitely needed to get harder I agree. You'd virtually get a point for writing your name on the old course. This is way OTT though.

I shall do, I look forward to the day very much indeed

It sort of begs the question; why is all this money & funding being spent on course cowboys?? When kids are leaving Skool & are unable to get apprentiships, cause employers can't get college courses for them. No funding, for the largest number of unemployed in the UK - 18 to 25 year old kids. My fellow Torries are blamed for spending cuts, but these chancers are grabbing all the funding!!!

In my view mature apprenticeships & course cowboys should be self-funded only, as entering the trade as a Skool leaver is the only way, most of the course cowboys can't get jobs after going through these Mickey Mouse courses, end up going self-employed & paying no tax. In every regard, no one over the age of 20 should be permitted to train as a Plumber, it has only a detrimental effect on our trade.

I only got an apprenticeship with my uncle because he was family. I wanted to be a sparky, but could not get an apprenticeship anywhere with an electrical firm. I have 2-3 phone calls a week from boys looking for apprenticeships.

I have had four to date one was showing some signs of getting it but he quit after being offered a plastering apprenticeship with a better starting wage, the others weren't interested. There are thousands of 16 year olds that go into a trade just to keep parents happy! If they're still trying at 18 then they're wanting to qualify. 16year olds in the majority don't give a toss.

I was funded through my level 2 at the age of 18, and I have happily funded myself through level 3 after realising it is in my interest to not just have the basic plumbing certs and be fitting pipe work and rads all my life.

Had a bloke that did a 6 week course do some work for me last year, he told my he had an NVQ level 2. He didn't tell me until after that he'd done it in 6weeks! Its a vocational qualification, how can you gain it working in a purpose built facility? it's supposed to be learnt on site ..... he cleaned off his joints using flux....... :rolleyes:

Oh and I left my last job as I was expect to liaise with customers, size jobs, pick up materials, use my own van & tools all for £9.00 an hour.....

And I was fetching & carrying and having a go at hanging and piping rads at 12, working with my old man in the summer hols. But as hormones take over plumbing don't seem so much fun :LOL:

It sort of begs the question; why is all this money & funding being spent on course cowboys?? When kids are leaving Skool & are unable to get apprentiships, cause employers can't get college courses for them. No funding, for the largest number of unemployed in the UK - 18 to 25 year old kids. My fellow Torries are blamed for spending cuts, but these chancers are grabbing all the funding!!!

In my view mature apprenticeships & course cowboys should be self-funded only, as entering the trade as a Skool leaver is the only way, most of the course cowboys can't get jobs after going through these Mickey Mouse courses, end up going self-employed & paying no tax. In every regard, no one over the age of 20 should be permitted to train as a Plumber, it has only a detrimental effect on our trade.

haha

if you must know why I was a late starter I spent 4 years in the infantry where believe it or not we didnt get much plumbing experience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back