Combi boiler intermittent water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has Valiant turbomax VUW 242/282 combi boiler.

Intermittently she finds a water leak on the floor and notes the pressure at zero.

Then if she repressures the system. The leak may not reappear for awhile.

I had a look and could see nothing.

It appears the front control panel is hinged, does it hinge down and hows its fixed. In other words how do you move the panel to access to view all the valves etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where does the pressure relief valve vent to? Does it just empty onto the floor, rather than out through the wall?

How does the pressure gauge behave? Does it go up a lot when the boiler is on?

thanks,

How do you move the control panel to access the view of the valves and etc. better, to find where or if any pipework is there for a drain from the relief valve.

If you have the 242 with black panel and green knobs there's a single screw then it hinges down. The later grey panel one has two quarter-turn fasteners with slots like screws. Not hard - the manuals are online at Vaillant.
The panel underneath shouldn't be hard to remove for inspection - it's often missing.

Yes there should be a pipe on the pressure relief valve, going to outside, usually then turned down or back to the wall.

If the pressure relief has been passing water it's likely to keep leaking. The press vessel is likely to need recharging too. Probably best to call a boiler man especially if it hasn't been serviced recently.

Sponsored Links
If you have to ask then I wouldnt be touching a gas boiler If I was you. When she fills it back to 1 or 1.5bar, then turns the heating on how high does the pressure go when hot? If its leaking from inside the boiler then it might be an Idea to just call someone to have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back