compression joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am using a couple of compression joints on my heating system, should I use plumbers mait on the joint as well or should I just rely on the olive as intended?

Sponsored Links
Take the JD approach. PTFE round the olive and thread, DanR swears by this method as well. :mrgreen:

You've answered your own question in the last 9 words of your post. Plumbers mait is not a jointing compound. A small smear of jointing paste can be used as an extra help to lubricate the joint when tightened, and many prefer that method, but it is not needed to make an effective joint.

Sponsored Links
As a footnote: Compression fittings should never be used if you can solder unless it`s a removable part and pipes are full of water, if anyone suggests using anything other than an olive on a compression fitting can`t fit conex fittings or solder in the first place. :LOL: Council plumbers/diyer`s use conex/compression fittings because they can`t solder a copper pipe together.Might as well use pushfit fittings, they are rubbish also. :LOL:

Don't use tape because insurance loss adjusters don't like it. Apparently.

Advice from a successful DIY "plumber"

As said solder is preferable.

With compression joints clean metal is essential.

A smear of Vasoline on both pipe and the olive reduces friction and allow the joint to compress more evenly.

Check pipe end for any scratches as even a small scratch can allow water to weep under the olive.

With a compression fitting the water-tight part of the joint is the olive compressing onto the pipe & its machined seat in the fitting. The thread is only there to provide a way to compress the olive - it doesn't form any part of the water-tight seal.

Using PTFE tape on the thread of a compression joint will not help make the fitting water tight. In fact, using PTFE on any part of the fitting isn't necessary.

Nothing wrong with using a little smear of bosswhite on the olive but nothing else should be needed to make a good joint if the pipe ends have been prepared correctly.

Our very own Mr D - professional unknown - insists PTFE makes the joint stronger. :LOL:

Lord knows how the strength is increased, but still he is an unmitigated legend in his own bathwater. And Which? Subscriber ;).

Ah ah the good old ptfe tape trick used by people who have trouble installing comp fittings properly STOP if you have to use ptfe the fitting isn't on properly and if you don't know how to do it right get someone who does
If you get a leak some insurers will not pay out if the joint has this tape on so beware you have been warned by the way what does mr d do for a living I never found out by the way I remember ptfe tape first coming out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back