Condensate pipe going slightly upwards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a combi boiler with a syphon inside it and the condensate pipe is run internally to the waste pipe below the kitchen sink. The horizontal section slopes downward, however it then goes slightly upwards at an angle before it joins the grey waste pipe underneath it (please see pic). Should it be a cause for concern?

I understand fitting a condensate pipe internally can be quite tricky compared to fitting it externally. If it really needs to slope downwards all the way, could the tee be shifted to a 45 degree angle, still avoiding a possible blockage from the main grey waste pipe?

Thank you.

View media item 90686

Sponsored Links
The condensate pipe connects to the condensate trap that connects to the flue of the boiler, that connects to the leg bone and the.......

You may be very good with pvc and mupvc solvent weld pipe work but I've personally not seen your work.

I can see the problem which you have correctly identified 👍 but so will a qualified installer that comes round your house to fix the problem.

Sponsored Links
if it's to do with the safe working of a Gas boiler then it needs an RGI. The condensate is directly linked to the safe working of the boiler therefore strictly speaking it does need an RGI I'm afraid, even though the fix is very easy.

Very easy for someone who knows what they are doing rob I.e. You. I've seen to many diy dogs breakfasts to offer advice on this

I was agreeing with you Igneous.

I was only explaining that although a fix may be pretty straighforward, it still needs an RGI to do it as it's the law and advice wasn't offered, as you clearly pointed out.

Hope that clarifies.

Sorry rob, my tone can sound a little arsey 😔. Just hoping the op got the point.

Ah right, NP M8, now I see it in a different vein :)

and quite right, the rules of this forum prohibit any advice that may promote DIY gas work in any shape or form. The condensate on a boiler is a perfect example, it may not seem like it's to some people, but it is.

The condensate should indeed be run at a constant downward slope, as should the drainage pipework that it feeds into.

I would reckon well over 3/4 of the boilers I attend with condensate leaks or draining issues are caused by this exact issue.

How long has the boiler been in for? And are you expirienceing problems with it?

While I would be the first to deter an unqualified memeber of the public from attempting "DIY Gas Work" I do not honestly see how the drainage pipework could be considered gas work and out of reach of a little DIY work where required.

I say this knowing fine well that the condensate does attach to the inside of the boiler where it is connected to the fluing system, however this is exactly why there is a trap/siphon in the boiler. And the British standards not only state but suggest having an air break on the condensate pipe in most cases which would expose it to atmosphere inside a property invalidating most arguments against working on the downstream drain/condensate system.

I know it's hardly the most safety critical point and the original installer was probably and RGI 😁 but I don't know the op's level of skill and I don't want to encourage someone I don't know to start faffing about with it.

I suppose the scenario I could envisage would be when moving the pipework downstream of the siphon/trap it could inadvertently upset/disturb the trap/siphon itself and it's associated pipework, however unlikely, causing problems with the boiler

How long has the boiler been in for? And are you experiencing problems with it?

It was installed last year and I got a Gas Safe certificate for it. The installer told me there was a siphon in the boiler which, I believe would prevent any condensate from going back up to the boiler, which is unlikely unless there was a blockage in the drain or pipe.

The pipe was originally fitted externally but when I saw some ice forming at the tip of the pipe, I got it changed internally.

The pipe does not cause me any problems so far, but I worked out there should about half a litre (1 pint) of condensate sitting permanently inside and across the pipe despite regular discharges. Hopefully I'm not being paranoid but I tend to visually check on a weekly basis all joints that have been sealed with glue, to make sure there are no leaks. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back