Condensing Combi Boiler installation was wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Bosch condensing combi boiler was flagged at risk weds lunchtime because the installation was faulty. The flue was wobbly because it hadn't been supported. The condensing pipe outside was also too long. I'd called British Gas out because it wasn't working but he couldn't touch it.

Called the installer who said standards have changed. Checked & found that's not the case with my boiler. They sent someone around on Thurs morning. He agreed the installation was faulty & showed me the inside of the flue which looked rusty. He said the flue should've been set at an angle. He said he'd send photos to his boss they'd call me with a time to fix it. He said they'd treat it as urgent.

3 qu
1. How long is it reasonable to wait for the work to be done (especially as the fault I called BG out for in the first place won't be fixed then so I still won't have ch)?

2. Could the fact that the water didn't go back to the boiler damage the boiler over time? It was installed early 2009.

3. My condensing pipe froze a couple of times. Would that've been less likely with a properly installed flue & shorter external pipework?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Sponsored Links
What is the make and model of boiler?

Most condensing boilers have plastic inner flues (wont corrode with acidic condensing products) but some are also metal.
Was it a new flue that was installed with boiler?

Any condensate pipe running externally should be a maximum of 3m in length, ideally 32mm min diameter and at a constant fall so products drain away.

If they aren't going to alter the condensate pipe, google search for condensate trace heater, this may help.

the hot water works but I've been told not to use it at all - although there's been a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning since the day it was installed!

It's a Bosh greenstar jr 24i

It's a metal flue and was installed at the same time the boiler was.

The pipe the guy from BG was talking about was on the outside of the wall, rather than the internal flue.

Sponsored Links
The inner part of the flue should be plastic. If its metal then its definately the wrong flue for a worcester greenstar 24 junior.

Afraid I don't have pics of the inside - the guy from the original installer sent pics to his boss but he put the flue back together again before he left. There was an inner chamber inside the part of the flue he showed me - couldn't tell you for sure it was plastic but it looked like it probably was. The problem he was showing me was the bottom of the wider metal chamber though.

They've said they'll be back on Tues to sort out the flue but that means that the ch won't be up and running until at least Weds (probably later if the delay on getting the flue is from Thurs to Tues) because nobody can work out the problem until the flue's fixed!

The condensate pipe should be installed so it can't freeze, preferably indoors. It seems that your installer didn't know his job properly.

The install seemed like it was all done too quickly even at the time. Not that I'm any kind of expert but I was sure he didn't even flush the system - didn't see him come downstairs once and the rad in my lounge wasn't right before and wasn't right after. I've checked the install manual since BG came and it wasn't even put in with enough clearance (it's in the airing cupboard).

The method of defrosting they used when it froze was to stamp through the waste pipe on the 4th day after I called them. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back