Confused about combi boilers and hot water only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am a new home owner and am trying to turn my hand to some things around the house, as well as trying to get my head around how my central heating works.

I had a look at the F.A.Q but couldn't find the answer there.

I have a a combi bolier, a Keston C36 (I understand these have a poor reputation) I have switched it on to "Summer" mode which means it should only be hot water only.

However when I run a bath one of the radiators in the living room heats up slightly, not that hot. This radiator has no temperature control just some type of flow valve.

When I turned it off I got an error from the boiler that the "Automatic Flow Control" test had failed.

Is it normal for a radiator to heat up, when in HW only mode?

George

Sponsored Links
The manual doesn't mention it, and I had a look and it there is a pipe with taps which runs between two pipes.

To be honest, I think it's better to be on the safe side and call in a engineer.

Strange how it's only when I run a bath the radiator heats up, showers and everything else are fine.

George

Sponsored Links
I thought so, I was hoping it was a feature that the boiler used to dissipate heat or something (what do I know ;) ), but I think sadly something has gone wrong.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Not often I would say this - in fact I am having to bite my tongue whilst I type. Time to take out a BG contract.

Now I have to go and wash my mouth out. There I said it - at least I know they will be wasting a lot of time and money fixing that heap over the years.

Jesus I feel dirty!!!

I have heard a few bad things about them, or is my boiler so crap they won't insure it?

That's a distinct possibility, I've heard there are a few they won't take on...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back