constant boiler lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a oil boiler with a sterling burner fitted.
It locks out each time its asked to fire, what it does is the motor runs the electrodes spark and it fires up for a short time 10/15 secs then lock out, thats as far as it goes.

this is what i have tested/tried so far in an elimanation process, removed photocell cleaned, tested photocell lead to control box with multi meter for any breaks all o.k., reinstalled.

removed lead to pump solenoid checked for voltage, 250V a/c found, checked lead to control box with multi meter for any break lead all o.k.

removed solenoid pluged into lead to see if it energised by placeing scredriver into coil it grabbed the steel shaft until it locked out then released, hope that test it enough.

removed control box no sign of burnt contacts or any damage, as this box seems to work the system can there be any electronic fault in the control box ?

Thats all i have tested so far.

am going to order photocell as cant prove its working is there a test i can do ?

seems that many parts work as it will fire up is there any thing more i can test/check?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the Photocell or less likely the Control Box
I would go with the cell first, it is worth checking that the ignition HT leads are not obscuring the view of the cell (if it can't see the flame it won't work!) this is a possibility on the Sterling Burner, ;)

Boilerman2
thanks for the reply, checking the ignition HT leads, how easy is this to do ?

are the Ht leads seable from outside the burner without disassembling the unit ? are they lightly to have moved ?

have ordered a Photocell today so hopefully will be able to eliminate that soon

will post back when i have fitted it, thanks.

Well, Photocell fitted Thursday 24/7 fired up stayed on, so far all good, only using boiler for hot water, so will wait and see over a week how it goes.
Dropped burner and gave a througher clean as a little soot around the blast tube area, no build up.
As mentioned had a good look down and can see what you said about the leads leading to the electrodes and how it would be possible for them to obstruct the photocell, made sure they were clear of the photocell.
If this turns out to be a succesfull repair I will be so very pleased as including a phone call it would have cost just over £10 to repair but wiil hold my horses for a while ;)

Thanks Derek.

Sponsored Links
In spite of your DIY repairs its still a good idea to get the unit professionally serviced and the combustion set correctly before the winter!

Tony

Yes agreed Tony, there is always a limit to what and how much any one who is not qualified can do in the way of repairs knowing where and when to stop and get professional service is key.

I would never adjust any thing like air/oil mixture as I simply do not have the know how or equipment to test.

My back ground is in engineering (electro/mechanical) so do not have the fear of looking into these type of problems, as said above got to know when to stop ;)

Derek

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back