Converting Gravity HW System To Fully Pumped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I could with with clarifying a few things. We swapped all the radiators in a customers bungalow the other month. Since they have complained that the hall radiator wasn't getting as hot as the rest I've realised its connected to the HW circuit rather than the CH. (Heat Leak?) The customer can only get the rad working when allow the HW to gravitate to it.

The boiler has 4 connections, 2 flows and 2 returns. I'm thinking of getting this rad connected into the CH circuit. The customer wants independent heating controls so I was thinking an S Plan to save commoning in the flow and returns for a Y plan. Do I need an aerjec? I'm assuming the boiler has a working pump on the CH side so I'd not need another pump putting in would I? It'd be fully pumped because of the boiler pump right?

I realise its not easy to explain without seeing the system. Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you should be taking this on, for a customer, as a paid professional when you don't seem to understand basic heating design principles?

Please explain then! My outline is incredibly brief and vague I realise. Alterations to existing systems isn't really what I do hence my asking.

How do you manage when you do an S-Plan from scratch? Just convert it to work the same. Can't see your layout so can't advise.

Sponsored Links
Umm, surely S plan requires you to common up the feed and returns anyway? The existing pump isn't going to pump round the HW circuit otherwise is it?

Kinda glad I'm not paying someone who doesn't know what they are doing to do this work though (I'm not adverse in principle to someone asking for advice in professional capacity, but this seems pretty basic stuff to me)

Just connect the radiator into the heating circuit and continue
with gravity hot water. Simple.

If going to fully pumped you really should have a modern cylinder with narrow pipes for fast recovery. The existing cylinder is probably old with a big coil. This means the boiler will heat the water up quick pump it round back to the boiler quickly and then shutoff again. Old and new don't mix.
Or you'll have to put a gate valve in to slow it all down to a trickle.

Hi there. I could with with clarifying a few things. We swapped all the radiators in a customers bungalow the other month. Since they have complained that the hall radiator wasn't getting as hot as the rest I've realised its connected to the HW circuit rather than the CH. (Heat Leak?) The customer can only get the rad working when allow the HW to gravitate to it.

The boiler has 4 connections, 2 flows and 2 returns. I'm thinking of getting this rad connected into the CH circuit. The customer wants independent heating controls so I was thinking an S Plan to save commoning in the flow and returns for a Y plan. Do I need an aerjec? I'm assuming the boiler has a working pump on the CH side so I'd not need another pump putting in would I? It'd be fully pumped because of the boiler pump right?

I realise its not easy to explain without seeing the system. Cheers in advance.

Were you Iron Naz in a former life?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back