copper v plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am not a plumber but reckon with a bit of practice i could solder a few pipes and fit a new bathroom suite.

should i practice and use copper or is plastic secure, easy and reliable for such a job?

Sponsored Links
LOL

the solder just wont stick to plastic!

i have tried using wire wool but it just doesnt work. sure if i practice on enough plastic i will get these soldered joints to work.

To answer your question, plastic is fine as long as you make the joints correctly and use inserts. It just doesn't look very good if it's on show.

Sponsored Links
Perfect for the DIYer. If you are going to use plastic use a decent brand like HEP2O.

For heating don't use plastic and inhibitor if you are in the country!
Mice like the "sweet" inhibitor so eat through the pipes!!!

93765856.jpg

Big mice may be rats!,

First time I've seen pipe chewed like that Shambolic, most rodent-related failures I've seen have been where they've chewed through a plastic elbow on the corner

That's an infestation. Are you sure Yorkshire water haven't been cutting corners and replacing the sewer mains with this stuff?

that does,t make sence to me :confused: with that many holes and big bite marks, the mice must have been chewing while getting scalded by the hot water, or even if the heating was off, they'd have to fight against the pressure of water for a mouthful of plastic,
I would have thought that as soon as they penetrate the pipe they run like the blazes, :LOL:

Looks like someone has taken a small grinder and gouged the plastic pipe in the image.
Maybe a disgruntled copper pipe salesman who lost a contract.
Just tried it and have replicated a few of those holes almost identical.
Or can mice use grinders? :LOL:

i am not a plumber but reckon with a bit of practice i could solder a few pipes and fit a new bathroom suite.

should i practice and use copper or is plastic secure, easy and reliable for such a job?

I'm not a plumber either. Making neat soldered joints with copper is very satisfying. Depends on how big the job is but if you start with solder ring, end feeds are more economical when you have more confidence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back