correct bayonet cooker hose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to get a gas safe engineer to install a new gas cooker, however I want to buy the cooker hose in advance to ensure I'm not being charged a premium for them supplying.

I forgot to take a pic of the cooker connector, however the interior diameter of the screw thread is 21mm. the bayonet fitting on the wall has an interior diameter of 27mm (just at the entrance of the fitting not further in, couldn't measure that far in) and I 'think' it says '80W0EN' on it.

can you confirm the correct size hose I need, would this one be right?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/straight-... - Plumbing&gclid=CMnInJH7kMICFezHtAodhH4Ajg#

here's a pic of the bayonet fitting

Sponsored Links
OP don't worry, your Gas Safe man will know what to get!!

Your gas safe registered engineer will be able to supply this for about the same price.
That hose is for natural gas not LPG is that correct?
However there is more to installing a cooker than putting on the hose.
There are several checks to carry out when commisioning a cooker and your engineer is the best person to advise you

as 2008 has said, your RGI will be able to supply the correct hose, and the correct jointing compounds/methods, check for correct ventilation in the room, ensure an adequate supply of Gas is able to be burnt correctly by the cooker and any other appliances, fix the cooker to the wall, level it, test the door seals, all the safety devices, clearances from curtains and other combustible surfaces. Perhaps even a room Carbon Monoxide test using his £600 plus testing apparatus.

That's what we charge for. The complete install, which we certify as being to regulations and to the manufacturers installation instructions. And, yet some people think that we will make too much profit from supplying just one component....:(

DH

(did I mention business overheads?)

Sponsored Links
as 2008 has said, your RGI will be able to supply the correct hose, and the correct jointing compounds/methods, check for correct ventilation in the room, ensure an adequate supply of Gas is able to be burnt correctly by the cooker and any other appliances, fix the cooker to the wall, level it, test the door seals, all the safety devices, clearances from curtains and other combustible surfaces. Perhaps even a room Carbon Monoxide test using his £600 plus testing apparatus.

That's what we charge for. The complete install, which we certify as being to regulations and to the manufacturers installation instructions. And, yet some people think that we will make too much profit from supplying just one component....:(

DH

(did I mention business overheads?)

Well said DH

Thanks for replies. So what do you reckon a fair charge (all in) for this would be? I'm in scotland not central london just in case that has a bearing :)

I intentionally didn't use curry's knowhow service as i felt £80 was quite steep.

You can shop around but if you can't afford to have a gas cooker professionally installed then you should make do without one.

Is there a reason why it's wrong to shop around for this particular service? I fully appreciate it's a gas appliance and as you'll have read in my opening post i'll be engaging the services of a gas safe engineer who can provide relevant certificate etc, but you seem to be implying i should simply engage someone's services and pay their charge without seeking at least one other quote?

I've always found this forum pretty good in terms of advice but my first question essentially doesn't get answered then a follow up question about charges is met with 'if you can't afford ...'

'Don't be silly mr car salesperson, i can afford the £20k list price so i'm seeking absolutely no money off list whatsoever. Actually please charge me for mats as well.'

'I shouldn't say this sir but shouldn't you at least shop around a teeny weeny bit or try haggling with me?'

'No, don't be silly, i can afford it so i never seek a more competitive price.'

Nowt wrong in shopping around,just call a few installers and ask them for a price over the phone but I'd charge you £80.... some will charge less

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back