Disconnecting a gas cooker.leaving current address

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i am moving hoe friday and need to disconnect my gas cooker,i have done this previously .when a relative passted away,all i did was turn the shut of switch turn the pipe and took the cooker,

but just would like to confirm ,is this right to do just turn the leaver as in the picture to off .
then turn the cooker on until all the flame goes out showing no gas is left in the pipe,
turn of the electric main switch then unscrew the 2 screws connected to the wall ,take the cable out .then undo the hose,
what end should i undo the hose the end connected to the wall or the end connected to the cooker,
i am geting a (gas safe) to fit the cooker in the new place,

did i need to do anything else??
when i turn of the lever i will leave it 10 mins and check of the numbers on the face just to make sure no more gas is coming through it

Sponsored Links
Leaving an uncapped open gas outlet is a Very Bad Thing to do. It needs to be capped off either at the outlet, or at the meter and the pipework purged.

The incoming occupants might not be getting their cooker connected immediately but still want to use the boiler.

hi how would i go about caping the pipes,if i was to turn it of at the main gas surply would it be safe??

as the local gas man wants £30 to disconnect and another £70 to reconnect,and this is a bill i cant aford at the moment,
due to moving with all the other bills and having to get the whole house flooring done,and this is my first proper move,and i really didnt no this would cost this much

i do understand about the new owners moving in would need heating ect,but the council will do this as they have to do it on my new place,

thank you for the reply,any info is much appreciated

hi how would i go about caping the pipes,if i was to turn it of at the main gas surply would it be safe??

NO.

Someone might turn the gas on unaware that the pipe is open. There is also the possibility that the main gas tap might let through.

From your other posting I surmise you may have a bayonet cooker hose connector. These are intended for disconnecting the cooker temporarily for cleaning, and are self-sealing.

However I would not trust one to be a permanent seal if the cooker was being removed completely. (I'm not sure whether it is actually legal to leave them 'live' when unconnected.) Also I would want to have a soundness test of the pipework done after the cooker was reconnected.

Sponsored Links
Very rare not to have a cooker flex that is not bayonet type these days .
So if its a boyonet type just push and twist bythe wall and it should disconnect.
It is perfectly legal to leave just the bayonet fitting there afterwards without the need to cap off

as namsag has said if it is a bayonet it is ok to leave that with the flexible rubber hose disconnected, but as a precaution turn the gas of to the house at the meter.

A council tennant told me they are not allowed to keep a non used bayonet socket for example when changing to an electric cooker.

I have to do a gas cert on a non bayonet hose soon and I am not very happy with that.

A council tennant told me they are not allowed to keep a non used bayonet socket for example when changing to an electric cooker.

I have to do a gas cert on a non bayonet hose soon and I am not very happy with that.

You should not take any notice of what a tennant tells you about gas
regulations. If you study your regulations you would see that a bayonet
socket can be left without any cap.
You do not appear to be confident or competent to work on cookers
with or without bayonet hose and should leave this to those with the
required skills to carry out this work.

She said that it was a rule their council/HA imposed on them!

Very rare not to have a cooker flex that is not bayonet type these days .
So if its a boyonet type just push and twist bythe wall and it should disconnect.
It is perfectly legal to leave just the bayonet fitting there afterwards without the need to cap off

im surprised you are giving a DIYer such advice, i appreciate where you are coming from and i know thaat you know the quantifying statements that go unsaid betwee GSR's however you didnt follow up your advice with the quantifiers that make it legal, and therefore in my humble opinion you have given the OP dangerous advice by giving him the comfort zone of "thinking" he is doing something properly (to be fair thats why the OP has asked on here for advice)

........dangerous advice by giving him the comfort zone of "thinking" he is doing something properly (to be fair thats why the OP has asked on here for advice)[/quote]

I rather think he posted for a laugh :eek:

Just for the benefit of DIYers, a bayonet fitting employs a seal which closes off the flow of gas when a cooker hose is removed.

But they CAN leak and a prudent RGI would test if it were to be left unused for more than a short time while cleaning behind a cooker.

Furthermore a small child could press in the seal and cause gas to escape!

Tony

hi thank you for the responces,
no i am confident about turning of the gas surply ect thats why i have asked the questions,i have uploaded some pictures to give a clearer idea .
my plan was to turn the leaver off which is in a cupboard ,at the back and would be very unlikely that a child would knock in on,

then disconnect the gas surply from the cooker,
my question is would i need to disconnect the gas surply from the wall or from the cooker? what end of the bendy hose?

also would anyone be able to tell me does capping mean,turning of the gas surply,or is it something else,

thank you for your answers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back