Disconnecting a push-fit shower inlet pipe connector- Stuck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a NewTeam/Bristan 8.5kW shower that needs the solenoid replacing.
To do this I need to disconnect the unit from the mains in pipe.
The picture below shows the fitting type, and the fitting instructions say "To release the pipework from the push-fit fitting, press and hold the grey collett against the elbow and pull the pipe out of the fitting". I didn't fit the shower, so I assumed this was as straight forward as it sounds.

Well the collett doesn't want to push into the fitting, there's very limited access and my knuckles are bruised.

What am I missing? Is there an easy way to do this? I've tried using bent-nosed pliers and screwdrivers but it's difficult getting leverage without cracking tiles or the plastic shower casing. Is there a special tool or something to help with this?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
There isn't a lot of movement with these and they can be well stubborn. Is the pipe tight and doesn't move? If so is there any give in the plastic elbow itself towards the pipe? Wedge a screwdriver or your pliers in behind the collet and push the fitting towards it, if you get movement then whilst holding the screwdriver/pliers tight against the fitting pull the whole thing towards you. This may be easier if you release the screws holding the case to the wall so when pulling it towards you the whole shower case moves too. I've had to disconnect everything and take the shower off the wall and twist the shower unit around the pipe to crack the seal before it would give whilst doing this before, hopefully it won't come to that. Just be careful of the pipework if you have to get physical on it's a$$
And of course, please makes sure the power and water are both off before attempting though I'm sure you already have :)

Thanks Rob!
Big screwdriver + rotating shower around pipe + blocks of wood to lever against and the sucker's off.

Worth registering to this forum for :)

I just hope the replacement parts arrive before we start to niff :eek:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back