Don't know what Make of combi boiler to fit and size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I'm just about to buy a house that needs a new combi boiler and don't no what make to go for? I have been advised to go for a Biasi as I'm on a budget. but would like some advise? Its a detached 3 bed house, seperate shower, and clock room, kitchen, and ten radiators. could some one tell me what size of boiler as well please, oh will be fitting trv's to the rads and changing them to convetor rads. thank you.

Sponsored Links
Being on a budget is understandable, but remember why they are cheap in the first place. They will probably cost you more in the long run.

Get some quotes, most don't charge for this and your be able to get many of your questions answered.

Minimum size is 24kw (Heating is usually rated to 19kw), however that will only give you minimal flow rate for domestic hot water. So your incoming mains supply will need to be tested (dynamic) and discussions with you in regards to your requirements.

Fitting TRV's just gives you a better control over the room temperature via the radiator, hence its name Thermostatic Radiator Valve.

Budget or not I wouldn't fit a Biasi, if an RGI has advised one of these then it's time to get a new RGI

clock room? You mean a cloakroom with handbasin and WC?

and it has one bathroom and one separate shower?

why do the radiators need changing?

make sure your quotes include a powerflush and a system filter

Sponsored Links
Hi ya,
Yeah sorry thats cloakroom, and yes wc and wash basin.
bathroom has a separate shower,
I thought by changing the rads to convector rads, would be more
energy efficient? and you would save money in the long run?

So what boiler should I go for?

Thank you for all your help so far.

Hi ya,
Yeah sorry thats cloakroom, and yes wc and wash basin.
bathroom has a separate shower,
I thought by changing the rads to convector rads, would be more
energy efficient? and you would save money in the long run?

So what boiler should I go for?

Thank you for all your help so far.

Whats your budget?

if each new radiator costs you £100 plus fitting, I don't think you will see a profit on it in your lifetime, or, indeed, ever.

The amount of heat delivered depends only on the temperature you keep your room at, and heat loss through the walls, windows etc.

Having a radiator with a greater output just means it will spend more of its time turned down.

This is no bad thing as you can run your condensing boiler at a lower temperature, when it is more efficient, but not worth doing unless your radiators need to be replaced for some other reason.

I thought by changing the rads to convector rads, would be more energy efficient?

No, convector rads will not save you any significant cash. They merely offer a smaller size radiator for the same heat output, or a bigger heat output for the same size radiator, whichever way you want to look at it.

If your existing radiators are enough to heat the room, and are in good condition, I would keep them unless you want to run a lower flow temperature to take advantage of the new boiler's condensing abilities.

As already said, unless your rads have come to the end of their life, I would keep them and invest the money you save on a better boiler. Avoid Biasi, Ferolli, Ravenheat and Ideal. Boilers to consider, but cost more than your original choice are Vaillant, Atag, Worcester Bosch. A reasonable budget choice is Main.

Whatever you fit, make sure that the system is properly flushed.

Ravenheat and Ferroli have both taken the giannoni heat exchanger out and commisioned their own heat exchangers. The new modena looks to be a decent piece of kit compared to the crap they've been churning out for the last 10 years. Spare parts for it are also reasonably priced.
Apart from the 'star' series Ravenheat have never been a bad boiler IMO but they did get off on the wrong foot by selling their stuff in B&Q where cowboys got hold of them, fitted them badly and blamed it all on Ravenheat.

The right model of Biasi is very good value and very reliable!

But all boilers do need to be fitted to a clean system whatever the make!

The Biasi M269 is particularly good value at around £500 including flue and VAT.

They are based on the well tried M96 model.

Because its a conventional burner it is far more stable then the sensitive premix designs.

The Biasi M110 premix boiler is also very reliable but becoming more difficult to find to buy.

Tony

You try and get parts for them though - two days wait for a simple auto air vent unless you want to pay the £15 carriage charge for fast delivery, hate to think how long it'd take to get something more complex

If your existing rads are old higher water content single panels with no fins, then I'd be changing them to double convectors, at least downstairs in the main living areas. Then hopefully your boiler won't be on twice as long as it needs to be to get your house up to temperature. The upstairs can always wait. You can perhaps then afford to get a better boiler with long warranty, and probably still save money on your original plan. IMO there's not much point in fitting a new high efficiency boiler on old single panel rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back