Drain off valve for trunk & branch

• Thread starter Deleted member 220192
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 220192

Recently installed new heating system in a house I've got.

Ripped out all the old copper and started fresh.

Installed new copper according to the trunk and branch design, flow begins 22, then splits to 2 x 15, one 15 feeds upstairs rads, one does downstairs.

Return is exactly the same.

My question is this though, As well as downstairs rads each having DOV locksheilds for part draining etc, I also want to be able to drain every drop so want to place a DOV on the lowest part of the system under floor, so do I solder a pipe at lowest point between flow & return and attach DOV there? This would need an isolator too wouldnt it?

Actually might have just answered my own question already, since flow and return are linked by rads, a DOV on either pipe at lowest point would do the job right? My original thinking was flawed as I dont have any rads as yet.

Sponsored Links
Firstly it would be wise to actually calculate your pipe sizing according to rad size, pipe distances and resistance, rather than taking it for granted that taking 15mm from 22mm for both upstairs and downstairs is suitable.
With regards to drain off, lowest part of each drop, whether that be flow or return, but not both if the pipe/drain off is below the rad.

Its a 2 up 2 down terrace! 5 rads in total, resistance should be low as I've made all my own bends rather than 90 degree E/F etc.... combi in loft.

So one DOV under floor at lowest point in pipe either flow or return

At lowest point in an accessible location, if both F&R are under floor and below rad, they will both require drain offs to fully drain down all pipework, if you have tails rising to each rad valve then you would still require both F&R drain offs to completely drain pipework, it will all depend how the pipes are installed.

Sponsored Links
Ive run the flow to the left side of every rad, return to the right.. other than the rads, there is no other connections between f+r

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back