Drayton Motorised valve sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Drayton Lifestyle 2-Port Motorised valve which has a habit of sticking on, i have had the snap on Actuator replaced twice in 2 years and now 6 months later its doing it again. The boiler turns off but the pipes are hot and the water is gushing around the system. i am able to eventually turn it off by easing the manual lever on the side of the actuator . Am i unlucky that this is happening a lot or could the valve be fitted wrong causing this to happen.Or the Wireing? Hope this makes sense and someone is able to give a litttle guidance. Its not a big job for the Plumber i use to change but costly and frustrating

Sponsored Links
You must make sure that the valve spindle is moving freely. These valves close with spring return and the spindle must be free to move. If you have to change the valve body for any reason then go for Honeywell as a replacement. I very much doubt a wiring issue.

Thank you for your reply. Could you please explain how i make sure that the valve spindle is moving freely?. when i remove the actuator should i be able to turn any thing that i see by hand? If so wd40? Its strange though, that if it is the valve playing up, its ok for 6months or more when i have the actuator replaced.

The spindle has limited sideways movement. 20 degrees from open position to fully closed. You should be able to turn with your fingers. If you have to use pliers then the spindle is seized. WD 40 will not fix it properly although its worth a try. Those actuators are not top notch and most would recommend Honeywell.

Sponsored Links
Agreed with the WD 40 but getting the lubricant in to where it will do any good is a bit hit and miss.

Thanks for your help, it will be Honeywell next time i replace anything then.
Looks like you were not surprised i have to replace so often, must be a common fault with these.

I was able to turn spindle easily by hand Just turned hot Water on and the heating has come on either as well or instead! Does this all point to a faulty acuator to you guys or is there something else i should look at

The actuator MUST be fitted to allow its spring to fully close the valve. If it was fitted when you tested then I would suspect system debris on the valve seat, and its probably a new valve required. Although they can be cleaned. its not worth all the faffing.

I too have replaced these twice now in 5 years. Whilst it is great to be able to replace the actuator alone - this convenience clearly comes at a price.

I have temporarily swopped back to a spare actuator and it is ok at the moment. My father had his all in one Drayton valve replaced a while back with a modern detachable version and it is now sticking occasionally too.

You only need to nudge the plastic housing of the actuator a little for it to switch and then it works fine. If in the meantime the opposite port is called for heat then next time it goes back to the stuck position it will likely be ok.

My summary - Drayton Rubbish - go back to the all in one version. Mind you it keeps plumbers in business!

I know replacements aren't too expensive but sticking Drayton valves are easily repaired unless they are completely knackered, and that is rare.

- Take the base (2 port valves) or common port (3 port valves) off. There is an o-ring to seal.
- Take the e-clip off the actuator arm (don't lose it!) and push the arm out. If it's really stuck it'll be tricky and need lots of wiggling.
- Clean it all up nicely (shaft and body), and replace the 2 o-rings (BS007 Nitrile O Ring. 3.68mm ID x 1.78 C/S), use silicone grease.
- Re-assemble and all should be well.

I often do this as preventative maintenance if I have systems drained down anyway and usually it's easy to do in situ.
The o-rings are only pennies if bought in bags of 20+ from ebay and I keep some in stock.

Last edited:
I'm sure, but these valves are still current models and hopefully my pearls of wisdom will help others :)

Great info on the Drayton.
I stripped down a myson 2 way valve and found no replacable o ring seals, so once they leak, you need a new stem assembly. (Not sure if you can actually buy them tbh).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back