Drayton Tempus three replacement issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have just had my old Drayton Tempus Three replaced with a Drayton Lifestyle LP522 but it’s not working as it should.

The CH side is doing nothing the light come on but does not fire the boiler up.

The HW side is controlling both the water and the rads, the problem I have is the radiators are not cutting off with the room thermostat

When the engineer came to replace the old unit he changed the back plate and I am wondering if he got his wires mixed up! I have called him and has said he will come back out when he can (that was a week ago)

My old unit did work before with the thermostat, boiler is a prima c and it’s not a combi (don’t know what it’s called I still have a copper cylinder)

Can anybody offer any advice?

The back plate is now wired like this (there are only five wires)

Yellow & Green - is in the Earth
Black - is in the N
Red – is in the L
Blue - is in 1
2 is empty
Solid Yellow is in 3
4 is empty

Sponsored Links
You probably have a Y plan system, but there should be a wire in:-
1---HW off
3....HW on
4....CH on
LNE look to be OK
There is a good article in FAQ's on Y plan wiring.
Others on here will possibly have some suggestions.

Sponsored Links
You probably have a Y plan system, but there should be a wire in:-
1---HW off
3....HW on
4....CH on
LNE look to be OK
There is a good article in FAQ's on Y plan wiring.
Others on here will possibly have some suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

are you saying there should be another wire?

The boiler man did ask me if it was working normally before as he said there should be a wire from the thermostat and he was confused as to how it worked before.

it was working as you would expect it to before he changed it though.

So I found the solution

The Yellow and green wire was not an earth wire! I traced it back and it ran into the thermostat.

I moved the wire from the earth slot on the back plate and put it in slot 4, and hey presto everything is now working like it should.

So I found the solution
Well done! We might never have worked out what the cause was over the net. Your installer obviously didn't make a note of the wiring, but he should have realised that the wire to 4 was missing.

The Yellow and green wire was not an earth wire! I traced it back and it ran into the thermostat.
Use of the earth wire to carry voltage has never been accepted practice, but many installers still do it - saves carrying four or five core cable.

I moved the wire from the earth slot on the back plate and put it in slot 4, and hey presto everything is now working like it should.
Get hold of some red sleeving or red insulating tape and wrap it round the wire at both ends. Future users will then know it is not an earth wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back