Drilling a hole through fitted tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't sure where to place this, tiling or plumbing, so if it's wrong please excuse me :)

I am fitting a shower into a bathroom that is already tiled etc.

It is a Mira mixer shower, and comes with the 'dog-leg' style plumbing fittings, so I've opted to get one of THESE Mira Valve Installation Packs instead, (as I've been advised they make life much easier!).

The shower is going onto the wall that ajoins to the airing cupboard, so I nicely have access to both sides of the wall.
However the INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS for the Mira installation pack says that the 15mm feed pipes should be fed through the wall / tiles in holes between 19 and 22mm in diameter, and I have no drill bit capable of that :(

What do I need to drill / cut these holes?
The wall is ceramic tiles onto a fully tanked plasterboard wall. (Double skin with 'egg-box' inbetween) in case that makes a difference with bit choice.

I had looked at this sort of thing:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-20mm-diamond-tile-drill-bit/49690#
but what stops it from skidding on the tile, as it seems to have no center point?

or should I be looking at something like this?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/diamond-core-drill-22-x-85mm/20620

but again, what stops it slipping?

or am I on the wrong track and should be looking at something completely different?

I am only 'diy-ing' so don't need something that will last forever, and equally don't want to spend a fortune if it can be avoided, (but obviously don't want to damage the bathroom by getting the wrong 'bit').

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I dont drill customers tiles unless they have spare one available in case of accidents.

All professional installers SHOULD leave the left over times with the customers but virtually none ever do. Thats why I seem them as less than professional!

See what others recommend.

If I am faced with using a diamond tubular drill without a starter drill in it then I drill a pilot hole and screw on a short cylinder which I make up to fit freely inside the tube drill.

Tony

You'll be better off using this as it has a pilot drill and will keep you on centre.
It will also cut your plasterboard.

DISSTON

Don't forget the arbor that comes seperate.

As for the diamond core drill bits are what i useally use to cut tiles but as you say they don't have a pilot drill bit.
I use a template that keeps them in line so they don't slip.

You won't go wrong providing use don't use hammer drill and use a descent cutter.

Sponsored Links
that will easily go through ceramic for you, dont use hammer action and use an offcut of plasterboard if you have any to use as a template. just use the drill bit through the board first away from the wall, then hold the board up at the wall and be very patient when doing it..... dont rush!

I have an offcut of 10mm upvc fascia board that I have cut 2 holes in with one of the cheaper tile hole cutters. The 2 holes are cut at the correct centre measurements for the shower mixer. Duct tape the upvc to the tiles, then drill through the holes without danger of slipping or tile damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back