DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Dripping noise in Pipes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexander001

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote

I have a really annoying problem that has been bothering me for months I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the correct direction.

In my bathroom I can hear water dripping and trickling continuously down pipes which have been boxed in down the bathroom walls. The bathroom has a dropped ceiling which houses a cold water tank. (No central heating boiler just a hot water tank with an immersion heater.)

I have looked for the source of this noise for months with no success. No taps leaking, and as far as I can tell there is no leak elsewhere because there are no water patches puddles to be found and my downstairs neighbours have not complained of watering leaking into their flat. (I live on first floor of an Edinburgh Tenement block) Checked the cold water tank and it is not water running down the overflow, because the water level stops at a good few inches below the overflow pipe. The ball cock system seems to work with no continuous dripping of the valve. The noise can only be heard when in the bathroom and since everything seems to work ok with no-one complaining of leaks, I have just left it, but it is a bit of a mystery.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
stardanny

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Hi.

Is there a flat above your?

Dan.
 Alert Moderators
alexander001

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote

Yes Dan, it is a four storey tenement, so there are two directly above me.
 Alert Moderators
stardanny

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Maybe their water system got a fault. Ask them to check their water tank ball valve not running, toilet ball valve not letting by, taps left running.

The pipe you can hear might be a soil pipe shared by four of the flats.

Dan.
The following user says thank you to stardanny for this useful post:
alexander001 (13 Feb 2012)
 Alert Moderators
alexander001

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, that makes sense.

I was not sure if flats shared plumbing systems or whether all pipes were run to the outside communal drainpipes. But during my investigation of the ceiling space I was able to identify what appeared to be pipes servicing my system, but there is one fairly rusted pipe thicker than the others running down the corner of two inside walls, and I thought it might be the culprit, but no idea what it was.

Now I know I can have a chat with my neighbours. Cheers!
 Alert Moderators
stardanny

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote

Glad to help. icon_smile.gif

Let us know how you get on.

Dan.
 Alert Moderators
MIGEM

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote

You say the water level stops below the overflow in tank, but did you check the outlet end of the overflow? You might find that you share the same warning pipe, if all overflows run into it.
The following user says thank you to MIGEM for this useful post:
alexander001 (14 Feb 2012)
 Alert Moderators
alexander001

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quote

I have followed the overflow pipe and it seems to go down the bathroom wall (where it is boxed in) it comes out at the bottom and is joined to the bathroom sink drain pipe. It then seems to run under the floor boards coming out of my front wall where it is plumbed into the outside cast iron drains. So I can't see water running out of it, but I can't see how it could be shared with the other flats down the internal wall where the noise is.

I have checked with my neighbour directly above me and her water level in the cold water tank is well below the overflow pipe too and she doesn't seem to have problems with the ball valve, toilet, dripping taps etc. But the thicker rusty pipe I described above does run through her property in exactly the same place as it in in mine. So I am assuming it is that and the problem is in the flat above hers. (I'm working on getting access to their flat!)

My only worry is we could not hear any noises in the bathroom of my upstairs neighbour, so it may come back to whatever it is originating from property.
 Alert Moderators
alexander001

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote

I meant from my property.

Last edited by alexander001 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total
 Alert Moderators
alexander001

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Curiosity got the better of me so I unscrewed the wood which is boxing in the pipework and lo and behold the bigger rusted pipe (that I know from my investigations in the upstairs flat must run through the building) is joined to the bottom of my plastic overflow pipe by a plastic T pipe, before running on down through the rest of the building.

The plastic overflow pipe then continues to run down my bathroom wall and is joined to the bathroom sink drain pipe, as I described above. I screwed the u bend off above the join and looked down to see water flowing down it, so that solves part of the mystery.

So from what you helpful guys have said above, am I correct in thinking that the problem is a shared overflow pipe and since my tank is not overflowing it must be coming from the top floor flat - because I know the flat directly above me does not have any overflow from her cold water tank.
 Alert Moderators
MIGEM

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote

Quite likely.
Turn each stopcock off externally, or check the meter dials, and you will see which one is running. Allow enough waiting time for water levels to drop or rise in the cisterns and you'll find it.
The following user says thank you to MIGEM for this useful post:
alexander001 (15 Feb 2012)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: