Dripping noise wakes me up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We can hear a dripping noise (seems worse at night) starts really fast and then tails off, sometimes goes on for 5 minutes, sometimes 10 seconds and at non specific intervals throughout the day and night. We think we've tracked it down to the mains water pipe, as when we turn the stopcock off fully we don't hear the noise. It happens whenever there is no water running i.e. at 5am, 6am, 7am, but also at any time during the day. Running the water when the noise is happening makes no difference. We've tried turning the water off and opening all the taps to see if there was air in the pipes, but that didn't work either!
it's so loud It wakes me up!
Help please :( [/b]

Sponsored Links
It could be tanks in the loft, or maybe toilets overflowing to the outside - and the drip bouncing on a conservatory roof for example?
John :)

More likely to be what Burnerman suggests, ball valve replacement time for either the storage tank or cistern.

Water pressure increases slightly during the night as less people use the water supply thats the reason its waking you up .

Sponsored Links
It's definitely not an overflow, so we'll go an check the tanks.
It's a stored hot water system.
I'll update in a bit.
Thanks for the help so far :)

There was a drip coming from the ball valve in the storage tank so we've replaced it with a floating valve. Hopefully I'll get a good nights sleep? I'll update in the morning!

Wasn't the ball valve, the noise is still happening. I really have no idea what to try next!?

Next time it wakes you up, instead of ignoring it and turning over, you will have to get up and try and locate where the noise is coming from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back