Expansion tank overflowing occasionally

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of weeks ago we noticed that the central heating pump was pumping for a long time, when I looked out I noticed that was water was coming out of the expansion tank overflow. I had this problem last year, then the ball cock in the expansion tank needed replacing. I had no end of problems after as I had to drain the expansion tank, air got into the system, which subsequently damaged the pump as well. So we had to have a new pump installed as well. So when it started again last week, I called in the plumber, he says that the system needs to be cleaned to get rid of the crud as there could be a blockage causing the water to overflow. He is going to charge £250 to do this. :cry: Now this week I found that a couple of the radiators where cold at the top due to air, I have bled these now, but also no more water is coming out of the overflow and subsequently the pump is not continuously on. So my question is have I solved the problem, or should I still get the system cleaned and spend £250 quid?????

Additional info, The central heating water is heated by a Baxi back boiler and is very old, we also have an immersion boiler for the hot water.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the cold feed is blocked making the system pump over which is very bad for the system and will need sorting asap.Make sure the ball valve is operating properly.

Thanks for your reply. so you think I should get the system looked at even though there has been no further water coming out of the expansion tank after getting rid of air from a few of the radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back