Ferroli Boiler Pressure drops to 0

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, got a bit of a query which I cannot figure out and has left me completely stumped. A good mate called me out to have a look at his Ferroli boiler, as the pressure on the guage keeps dropping to zero every few days.

It was only fitted about 9 months ago.

I've checked all rads, no leaks, checked boiler, cannot see any leaks. Checked boiler overflow pipe, again cannot see any leaks or water. I can;t figure out where the water from the rads is going as they are emptying but there is no sign of water anywhere!

The only thing they had done was having a radiator moved in the kids bedroom a few months back, so the engineer drained down the system to alter pipework and add new rad. I've checked the joints under floorboard to these rads and they seem fine, no leaks, no water marks. They are having to refill the central heating every couple of weeks. Has anyone come across this before?

Sponsored Links
Is it a combi or system boiler?

Who fitted the boiler? Can't they get the installer back?

Does it have heating pipes in ground concrete floor?

Water has to go somewhere, keep looking.

Dan.

Is it a combi or system boiler?

Who fitted the boiler? Can't they get the installer back?

Does it have heating pipes in ground concrete floor?

Water has to go somewhere, keep looking.

Dan.

Its a combi boiler Ferroli optimax 38he.

The installers were apparently some random guys from birmingham, couldnt speak any english and do not appear to have registered the boiler!

There are no pipes downstairs under concrete. No staining on ceiling indicating any possible leaks. No water from boiler overflow! i've looked everywhere, even took up floor boards. Can't see any water.

don't know if other heating engineers approved of this but.....

Maybe try this, repressure it to max 3bar, till boiler overflow pipe (prv) tricking a bit and try and listen for hissing noise.
Mate told me but I never tried it as I am hard-of-hearing.

Check that the E/V is correctly pressured.

Dan.

Edit:
Not the right advice, is it? :oops:

Iron, you just have to keep looking, if there nothing wrong with boiler.

Dan

Sponsored Links
don't know if other heating engineers approved of this but.....

Maybe try this, repressure it to max 3bar, till boiler overflow pipe (prv) tricking a bit and try and listen for hissing noise.
Mate told me but I never tried it as I am hard-of-hearing.

Check that the E/V is correctly pressured.

Dan.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Take the rubber pipe off the condensate pipe & aim it in an empty milk container. Switch the boiler OFF at the wall crank the press upo to 2.5 bar & wait till morning. If any waterin container then main Hex is split.

The installers were apparently some random guys from birmingham, couldnt speak any english and do not appear to have registered the boiler!

Come on Naz. Tell the truth. These are your guys aren't they? Got all your trademarks, ie. dodgy, cheap, no speaka de Eeeengalish, no paperwork for the boiler, except the readies that were paid for the install.

Thought you were going to save the world from rip-off plumbers and installers. Now you're back on here asking their advice. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Come on Naz. Tell the truth. These are your guys aren't they? Got all your trademarks, ie. dodgy, cheap, no speaka de Eeeengalish, no paperwork for the boiler, except the readies that were paid for the install.

Thought you were going to save the world from rip-off plumbers and installers. Now you're back on here asking their advice. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Drat - IronNaz - I remember now. Thanks whiteSpirit for reminding me. Knew there was a reason I dont come to this Forum.

Drat - IronNaz - I remember now. Thanks whiteSpirit for reminding me. Knew there was a reason I dont come to this Forum.

Don't let Nadger put you off. He's great entertainment when he gets going. ;)

Not at all. Apparently they got offered some government scheme for boilers and took up the offer from a door to door caller. Had i known at the time, i would have advised them against it.

Its precisely people like these that I am aiming to rid the market place off. Since i went it alone in plumbing in November, I have come across some shockingly shoddy plumbing work over the months, more often then not. And to think people paid good money for this rubbish is enough to make your blood boil. Unfortunately I cannot get rid of these guys but all I can do is ensure I every job I do, i do to a high standard for a competitive price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back