Fitting a electric shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Just a quick question here, I am putting in a shower in my mums house. As I have just done a whole house re-furb for her and it's just the shower to go in now.

The question is can I just cut into the cold water pipe for the bath tap and put a reducing tee in to a 15mm pipe and rub it under bath and up to the shower and of course a wee service valve on the pipe? The reason why am asking is in my flat I lease out this is the set up. But in my house the shower pipe comes from up in my loft from the tank by the looks of things.

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Sponsored Links
What kind of shower is it? Electric?

Sponsored Links
Sorry ment to say tank there. But am sitting here thinking and actually I don't think the house has a cold water tank think its just a tank for hot water. Would I be right saying that? As there is only one tank in the house!

So just a quick question as well as where on about tanks and boilers. Is this why my shower pipe in my house comes from the tank as there is a cold water tank and hot water tank?? Is this right? Also I take it you can't take a feed from the cold tap pipe on the bath if it comes from a tank?

Thanks Paul.

Take you have a copper hot water cylinder in the cupboard and a plastic tank in the loft ?

Hi,

First in my mums house there is only one tank in her house which is in the loft. The cold water pipe for the bath come up from the main stock cock I think. And then there is a tee which the pipe must feed the tank in loft. ( is this right) and its a hot water tank in loft I remember as it's the only tank in house. so it will be ok to cut into the cold water pipe for the bath tap for the shower feed?

Question two is, going back to my house shower and my flat shower is this why my shower water feed pipe in my house comes from the loft (tank) because in my house there is a tank in cupboard which I think is copper and it's got like yellow foam round it it and then the tank in loft is a cold tank. And in my flat it only has one tank and it's the hot water and that's why my shower feed in my flat is on the cold water pipe on my bath??

Hope this makes Sence.

Question two is, going back to my house shower and my flat shower is this why my shower water feed pipe in my house comes from the loft (tank) because in my house there is a tank in cupboard which I think is copper and it's got like yellow foam round it it and then the tank in loft is a cold tank.

Yes the cold tank in loft feeds the hot water cylinder below.
Your shower willbe connected to the mains pipe that supplies the ball valve in loft tank.

And in my flat it only has one tank and it's the hot water and that's why my shower feed in my flat is on the cold water pipe on my bath??

If you only have one hot water cylinder in your flat is it a mains pressure system or a combination cylinder

combination cylinder.
fortic.jpg

mains pressure system
Megaflow.jpg

Aye in my mums house? It used to be a black thing but it's now yellow as its got that foam around it. It got changed a few years back before she bought it from the council. Think it got changed when the council put the oil central heating in the house. I know that there is a white sort of themostat thing on it like what's on radiators to turn the heat up or down on the radiators. But I have not really looked just noticed it the other day when I was feeding the wire from fuse box for the shower

The big blue one is a combination cylinder looks like 2 tanks together.
Top part is the cold water storage the bottom part is the hot water cylinder.

Same as having one of these
resize.jpg

and one of these in the loft.
385_l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back