Fitting Stone Resin Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you tell me if this is sufficient support for a stone resin shower tray?

Thermalite blocks used at intervals around the edge and one in the middle bedded onto a ply sub floor with mortar?

Came home from holiday to find this...

Thanks guys.

ShowerTray.jpg

Sponsored Links
In a word no

A stone resin tray should be supported on a solid base.
Most manufacterers provide a base kit with a solid ply base on adjustable legs. Where this is not available I make a base from 4x2 (tall way up) to allow for trap then lay a base of ply or tongue and groove flooring for the tray to sit on.

I think u already knew the answer tho

Thanks both.

I think u already knew the answer tho

I had an inkling, yes. :cry:

I'm OK with electricity but not so good with other areas of DIY. But, having seen the thickness of the tray and knowing my weight, I would not like to tread on the tray where it is unsupported: I would be far happier knowing the whole surface area of the base is fully supported. Also, instead of putting the tray in the corner, then sealing it, the fitter has left a gap, then sealed it. Is this standard practice?

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though u could have done a better job yourself.
I've seen these trays break when someone dropped a shower head in the middle of it.

I prefer to silicon the outer sides of the tray that will join the wall and also beds the tray on silicon to the base then push it hard against the wall/walls this will make it all very solid and avoid leaks

So this tray is best removed and refitted on a timber base constructed as you suggest.

Having bought the tray from Victoria Plumb, I went on their website to look at the reviews.

A guy there reckons the one he bought is made by MX. Their fitting instructions recommend bedding in with contact adhesive or other suitable adhesive.

Did not quite understand the bit about bedding in with silicone. Do you bed in the tray base with silicone or just the sides to the walls?

Thanks.

I use silicon 10mm thick bead in runs 50mm apart across the base.
This will take up any unevenness in the tray and base and also hold it very solid.
Some use cement or tile adhesive, silicon is just my preference

It is best to sort this out now rathe than have the tray break when the whole job is finished.
I'm sure your bathroom fitter will not be happy about this but he should have fitted to the manufacturers instructions and hasn't

No. He won't be happy. Neither am I. Far from it.

But I shall leave it to diplomatic,level-headed Mrs Secure to sort it out.

Thanks again.

Well I've fitted loads like that and never had a problem !

Especially on solid floors.......rock solid and never moves.

My preferred method...........anything else tends to flex........legs, ply bases etc etc.

Obviously cant see the whole job but looks good to me if the blocks are closely spaced like it looks.

The compo takes up any unevenness and it sets solid unlike silicone that can flex.

Ps stand in it in your socks ! bet it don't move !

Well I've fitted loads like that and never had a problem !

Especially on solid floors.......rock solid and never moves.

My preferred method...........anything else tends to flex........legs, ply bases etc etc.

Obviously cant see the whole job but looks good to me if the blocks are closely spaced like it looks.

The compo takes up any unevenness and it sets solid unlike silicone that can flex.

Well, it's all been smashed out now....

Problem was, there was several issues I was worried about:

1. The manufacturer recommending an 18mm marine ply base fully supporting the tray.

2. The blocks were not as closely spaced as the picture implies.

3. I'm 20 + stone.

I think you should go for 1" ply if you are 20 stone +.
How rude :eek: the problems occur with point loadings - as said about the shower head - I`ve seen bottles dropped on shower trays supported as yours was - it goes right through :cry: wether it would crack one that is fully bedded is another matter :confused:

I have spoken to MX shower trays today. They recommend some 4 x 2 with 18mm marine ply on top with a bed of portland cement based flooring adhesive on top.

That's what I'll do.

I have spoken to MX shower trays today. They recommend some 4 x 2 with 18mm marine ply on top with a bed of portland cement based flooring adhesive on top.

That's what I'll do.

I've done them that way as well, but the blocks always works well providing
you space them closely, another point we usually fit the hardibacker board after we fit the tray so it overhangs the tray then no chance over water getting between the tray and wall tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back