Flow rate vs boiler size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm trying to understand the relationship between flow rate and the capability of a boiler to heat the water.
I have a flow rate of approx. 4 gal per min and two showers. If the showers were both in operation together how many kw are required to heat the water to 40 degrees. As Johnny Ball might say "show me the math" :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
most boiler manu work on a 35d rise
as a rough guide per min
24kw = 9 ltrs
28kw = 11 ltrs
35kw = 14 ltrs
39kw = 16 ltrs

I usually recommend a boiler that will supply around 75% of the flow rate in hot water. so in your instance something supplying 14l/min or less.

we cannot tell you how many kw required for your showers as you didnt supply the flow rate.

Sponsored Links
i mean the flow rate of the showers. or at least desired flow rate

11 litres is a decent shower.

9 litres is a fair shower.

Running multiple draw offs through a combi is a bit hit and miss. You will need proper flow restrictors either on the feed to the shower or on the shower head to have a chance of them working properly.

The problem then is that you are grossly oversizing the boiler for heating. Which the other evening I was too sozzled to ask multiple questions on.... have you worked out the heat requirements of your house?

There is the whole house method that one regular poster here likes. I prefer to work out each room individually as it is more accurate and you can fine tune the results to suit.

The problem then is that you are grossly oversizing the boiler for heating..

I don't think its an issue now Dan with regard to higher turn-down ratios , I agree it might of been an issue with the 3:1 TDR's but minimum is around 5:1 with some boilers in the region of 7:1 , a 37kw combi could easily modulate down to around 5/6kw. (5:1)

The gas goes down to 7.8kW according to my destructions - 0.8m³ p/h

What boiler Dan?

I know the Vaillant 837 modulates down to 6kw for heating (4.5:1) with the 637 around 6kw (6.1:1) so pretty impressive.

Sorry should have put Gash - Intergas SB40. Same HEX as the 36/30 - just a bigger fan and huge donkey schlong of a trap underneath.

It really is comical :LOL:

One of my few bug bears of the boiler is the minimum output.

The Bunies are good for Turndown.

Sorry should have put Gash - Intergas SB40. Same HEX as the 36/30 - just a bigger fan and huge donkey schlong of a trap underneath.

It really is comical :LOL:

One of my few bug bears of the boiler is the minimum output.

The Bunies are good for Turndown.

Just goes to show the superiority of the vaillant gas train/mixer. ;)

I'm not gonna bite on that one dude :D

But I am going start a thread in the CC on these ratios. Really interests me this does :D.

Well Dan if your starting a thread in the CC then you'll be hacking into me later. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back