Flow rates - pipe size - Accumulators and Dual Stream design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am designing a new Hot Water system for 9 apartments within a serviced block.

The mains we have consists of 3 X 25 plastic inlets.

I have 3.5-4 bar pressure with over 90 l/m when I put them into a manifold a test using a Hedland In line flow meter.

What I intend to do is run the 3 mains to the rear of the property (15m ) where the new plant room will be installed. I will feed one of the 25mm mains to the service riser so that I can supply all kitchens with mains supply. The other 2 pipes I plan join and feed a 1" water softener with high flow capabilities. This will then fill my 2 X 450L accumulators and 2 X 600 L Hot water cylinders possibly OSO.

Due to height restrictions in the basement I can only run a 25mm diameter pipe + insulation. Therefore will have to run the 25mm’s to the service riser. I want to use Blue plastic instead of coppers as it will mean that I can easy bend them across the span of the floor to the bottom of the service riser . With the copper I will have to install an extra 90 degree elbows which will effectiley hinder my flow rates. At the bottom of the Service riser I will then join them to one copper pipe and run this up the riser. The doubt is whether to use 42mm or 54mm. With 42mm I am worried that I will not be able to achieve my flow rate target, but with 54mm I am concerned that I will have too much a drop in pressure at the higher floors. My target is a min of 25-28 l/pm at the rain showers of each apartment.

The digital mixer I plan to use is the Vado IDE 147 which boasts 29 l/pm at 3.0 bar. What I am trying to achieve is this flow in as many apartments simultaneously.

From what I understand about the accumulators is that they will increase flow rates but more importantly maintain them based on the quantity installed.

Is there anyone out there that has hands on experience with this system.....and maybe any suggestions on people who could install the system?

Any one that can assist me with this would be very much appreciated)

Da95649

Sponsored Links
You evidently think that you know everything there is to be known about plumbing and heating!

But if that were the case, I am surprised that your description above doen not even mention the number of floors or the dynamic flow rate!

Your previous postings show that you consider its reasonable for you to install boilers even though you are not gas registered. That indicates a serious disregard for the safety of your tenants!

Apologies, I am not a plumber nor do I intend to give that impression sorry if I was unclear.

My property is 5 floors typical Georgian London town house. Basement, ground, first, second and third floor.

The apartment will be distributed:

Basement - 2 bathrooms
Ground - 2 Bathrooms
First - 1 bathroom
Second - 1 Bathroom
Third - 3 bathrooms

Not sure what you mean by dynamic flow rate, I am assuming this is a change in rate throughout the day?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back