Galvanised water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying a 1968 built flat and had a survey done. Just read the report and 1 point noted was that there are Galvanised water tanks in the loft.

The surveyor recommended that the tanks are changed for plastic ones.
I can't get hold of the surveyer yet so thought I would ask here.

Is it a health issue why he recommends changing them or another reason?

If I change them, how much do new plastic tanks and associated fittings cost?

There is only a small loft hatch for access so I do not see how I would get the old tanks down and the new tanks up.

Sponsored Links
They eventually rust through.

Putting that into perspective, my dear old mum has lived in her place for 60 years and has got a galv cold storage tank in the loft. So I wouldn't rush to replace it.

£300 would cover it all including draining down etc., most times the old galv tank will be left up in the loft space if access hatch too small.

Ask for the money off the asking price to cover for it. :idea:

The old steel tanks have come to the end of their life and are liable to rust through and cause a flood. They are normally just disconnected and left out of the way in the loft as cutting them can be dangerous.

Plastic is not that expensive but need to be fitted carefully. if the hatch is too small - round ones are squashable.

Normally if the loft hatch is a bit small I link 2 small tanks, or fit a coffin tank if possible.

Cutting up galv tanks isn't a nice job, best left up in the loft. I can remember being given the job and handed the grinder :cry:

Didn't think round tanks were still available Dan?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

So the problem is the tank could rust through and cause a flood.

I think I will need a big tank and a header tank.

I did google loft water tanks and saw those coffin type you mentioned.

It is a 2 bed flat with no gas but has economy 7 heating and I live alone, how many litres should the big and small tanks hold? Then I will know which ones to buy or at least it looks like I have some idea what I am talking about when I get quotes from a Plumber :)

Its often a good idea to use the old tank, perhaps upside down, to support the new plastic one.

I think that traditionally a 50 gall tank has usually been installed with a useable volume of 40 galls, about 180 litres. But BS6700 says the minimum should be 230 litres. That sounds a little dated now.

I used to quote about £320 inclusive but have not done one for a while.

Tony.

Its often a good idea to use the old tank, perhaps upside down, to support the new plastic one.

I think that traditionally a 50 gall tank has usually been installed with a useable volume of 40 galls, about 180 litres. But BS6700 says the minimum should be 230 litres. That sounds a little dated now.

I used to quote about £320 inclusive but have not done one for a while.

Tony.

Bit difficult getting them on the bus eh? :LOL: :LOL:

I have never tried to install a large tank on a bus!

I am buying a 1968 built flat and had a survey done. Just read the report and 1 point noted was that there are Galvanised water tanks in the loft.

There is only a small loft hatch for access so I do not see how I would get the old tanks down and the new tanks up.
Assuming there are tanks - in the plural and guessing the size of the small access hatch stopped the surveyor from actually getting in the loft to " survey" , I would also guess the void up there is so cramped that the original builders put in 2 tanks coupled together - (as there will be no small heating F+E tank ) Also seeing as you`re in the Home Counties I wouldn`t be surprised if you get quotes for around £500.

Is there a flat below you or elsewhere in the building?

Is it even your loft, ie included in your lease?

Are you sure they are your tanks?

Could be for another flat in the building! :eek:

Thanks again for the replies.

Tipper, very good points.

There are 4 flats in the building, 2 on each floor.
I am buying on the upper floor. Yes the loft is included in the lease.
I spoke to the Surveyor today and he said there is 1 tank in my side of the loft, the other side of the partially built party wall is another tank for my neighbour.

I assume the lower 2 flats have tanks built into thier cupboards because I viewed a few other flats nearby of a similar age (late 60's) and the flats had gavanised tanks built into the cupboard in the kitchen.
A neighbour told me the builders had to knock a wall down to get it out.

To answer you question, no I dont know if the tank is solely mine :)
Maybe when I get a couple of quotes for the work the Plumber will be able to see if there are pipes leading to my flat only or to another flat also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back