Gas fire, cast iron surround and damper opening position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, advice is required please:

We have had a new cast iron insert and gas burner installed into our existing (swept and fully functioning) chimney/fireplace. At the time of fitting the damper plate hadn't been supplied.

The damper plate has now arrived and forms a draught-free fit when fully closed. Now that its getting colder we plan to start using the fire, but my concern is this: can I purchase some sort of clip to hold the damper in a suitable open position for a 3kw gas burner, but which easily allows for it to be closed too when not in use? If I push it fully open then the fire doesn't burn well (too much draw upwards if windy etc), and there would exist the possibility of it falling to a closed position which I don't want.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
In most cases its totally unsafe and illegal to have any form of damper with a gas fire.

Of course if its really part of the fire and approved by the manufacturer than thats another matter.

The fact that you are not asking your gas registered installer makes me wonder if this is a highly dangerous DIY or unregistered builder installation.

WHAT YOU ARE ASKING COULD BE DANGEROUS!

Get proper professional advice!

Tony is quite right in that you cannot have a damper on a gas fire unless it is in a fixed position. The one you have now is illegall and dangerous.

what does "in a fixed position" mean though? i understand the potential dangers, but surely a fully open cast iron insert isn't practical. what are other people using?

the model in question is a Gallery Crown - fairly popular I understand. Surely every instance of this fitted in the UK with a gas burner doesn't have a fully open hole going to the flue/chimney, especially in the middle of winter!? does it not also depend on the chimney, room size, ventilation etc etc. will a gas fitter take this into consideration, or is a blanket "no damper" answer the best i can expect. our chimney is pretty large, so what i want is the damper to be 'calibrated' in the idea position for use.

the guy who fitted the fire is corgi registered, but like i said, there wasn't a damper initially supplied, so it wasn't a factor then.

Sponsored Links
This is such a potentially dangerous matter that only a gas registered person ON SITE would normally advise. Whatever advice he might give would be confirmed as safe after he had done tests on the appliance.

It is NOT suitable for a DIY job as you obviously intend!

However you ask on here you will not get DIY advice as anyone giving it will immediately have it deleted by the moderators. I hope that no one would be so stupid as to give you any advice.

Tony

ok, i understand what you are saying. can i maybe rephrase the question though:

what sort of tests will a gas safe engineer do??

will he/she for instance have the fire running, close the door/windows, partially open the damper and test for CO levels? because if all i can expect is someone to come round and instantly tell me the damper needs removed, then it is a waste of time

You will be told to have it removed (if there is no way of fixing it permanently open)there is no ifs or buts on this matter .
Simple you know there is a damper and should be opened ..
You have baby sitter member of family someone come in after a night out lights fire with damper closed they and anyone else in the house are dead in around 15 minutes.

Iam prepared to give some advise at the risk of it being deleted,

If you are not prepared to take the advise of Agile or expertgasman I would strongly suggest you contact one of Glasgows funeral directors as one thing is certain..............

YOU CANNOT CONDUCT YOUR OWN FUNERAL SERVICE. :confused:

David

what does "in a fixed position" mean though? i understand the potential dangers, but surely a fully open cast iron insert isn't practical. what are other people using?

RaRa, Actually, I run a fireplace showroom. We actively dissuade our clients from purchasing the type of product for the very reasons that you are disatisfied. The chimney IS completely open, and all or most of the heat DOES go up the flue. In fact, if the room is warm with the radiators and you turn on your fire, the room can go cooler. Weird, but true. The fire heats up the chimney to such a degree that it pulls very hard and increases the number air changes in the room. In short, it sucks out your warm air generated by the radiators.

Did you purchase the fire of the internet, or did you go to a proper shop who SHOULD have advised ypou accordingly

does it not also depend on the chimney, room size, ventilation etc etc. will a gas fitter take this into consideration, or is a blanket "no damper" answer the best i can expect. our chimney is pretty large, so what i want is the damper to be 'calibrated' in the idea position for use.

No, there is no middle ground. Some casts come with a DECORATIVE damper, which is impossible to pull forward, but no damper is allowed.
It is not allowed to have any device which closes even temporarily, unless there is an interlock, which isn't applicable in these cases.

the guy who fitted the fire is corgi registered, but like i said, there wasn't a damper initially supplied, so it wasn't a factor then.

Where did th damper come from?

You also mentione 3Kw. If the fire is a standard no vent 7Kw input, they normally say UP TO 2kw, which is generally optimistic. Some manufacturers who sell decorative fires rwfuse to give ANY indicatioon of an output, amd in our shop, we simply say that any heat into the room is something of a bonus.

You should have bought an Agnews Integra:

http://www.fireplacemegastore.co.uk...s-anson-full-polish-integra-cast-iron-insert.

Scroll down for explanatory image, but buy from a proper showroom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back