Gas pipe through external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a gas pipe that was fitted through the external wall of the house.

the plumber fitted a 50mm plastic waste pipe through the wall and cemented it in... then fitted the gas pipe through it.. then taped up the gap between the gas pipe and the plastic pipe it runs through using duc tape.. 2 years later and the tape had came off leaving a gap between the gas pipe and plastic waste pipe section for the wind to blow through the wall.

Is there another way of blocking the gap up? is there any silicone sealant that won't react to the copper??

Sponsored Links
There is a much better way of doing this - it is a shame the installer did not simply use a length of the next size up copper as a sleeve there is a requirement for the sleeve to be capable of carrying gas. a suitable sealant would be an approved non setting putty (well known in the trade) :)

Ahh right.. thanks.. wasnt sure if roof and gutter sealant would do the job.. i.e not react to the copper

Sponsored Links
"non setting compound". Google it. It's what they use to seal the gap in a meter box where the pipe goes through the wall.

At least he sleeved it, half the lazy sods don't.

Use non setting putty or just silicon it. The gas police won't hang you from the gallows for it.

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bring back an old thread but this is exactly what I need to know. Basically, is it a regulation or just good practice to sleeve a gas pipe going through an external kitchen wall? If so, where could I find the official regulations?

NS

It's a regulation, gas pipes through walls MUST be sleeved, and sealed on the inside only. GSIUR 1998, 19.2 a & b. Sleeves aren't actually mentioned, but are implied

Muggles your statement is wrong where does it say only ever on the inside ? i can think of one straight off that is AR if you done that

Muggles your statement is wrong where does it say only ever on the inside ? i can think of one straight off that is AR if you done that
Inside only was what I was told when I did my ACS, sealed with intumescent acrylic sealant, the idea being that any escaping gas then has a direct route to vent to outside rather than having a risk of building up in the sleeve and possibly leaking into the property. And yes, I know it's different with meter boxes, but in that situation there's an enclosure on the outside that is (in theory) sealed and so the gas would build up in that, hence the variation in that situation

So in other words your statement is wrong it is not just on the inside

My statement is generally correct as far as I'm aware. Meters are different. Which is what I said

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back