Glowworm 24ci NTC not connected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm new to the forum but hope I can get some advice. I have a Glowworm 24 ci boiler (yes unfortunately). I keep getting a intermittent fault when the hot water is switched on (f19 NTC not attached) heating is running ok.Fault first occurred in january - I replaced the thermistor and it was ok for 8 months though heating was not used as much during that period. Fault has now returned and is occuring more often . Switching the boiler on and off resolves it. The board (reconditioned) was changed last December. Is it worth buying another thermistor for £18 or is it more likely to be the board as fault never ocurred until board was changed or could it be another problem? Board is just out the 12 month warranty the company provided. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Chris

Sponsored Links
I am disapointed to hear that Bob Mansfield is prepared to use repaired PCBs. I wonder if the CIPHE encourages that?

Well, I dont use a crystal ball and only use diagnostic tests at the boiler. So I dont know.

The usual tactic if not sure is to replace a cheaper component first and if that does not give a fix then to replace the expensive one.

I would replace the NTC with a fixed resistor and see if the fault remains and so identify if its the PCB or the NTC.

Why are you not calling Bob again?

Tony Glazier

Hi Tony, thanks for the advice. I was going to give bob a call but it's £60 to call out. I figured it's probably worth £18 to swap the NTC again first and see where that leaves me. If it is the pcb then I will look to source a new one. To be fair to Bob he has always been pretty good in the past though sourcing a new pcb last winter was proving difficult - hence I was offered a reconditioned one.

I am pleased to hear that as Bob does have a good reputation.

I would expect its more likely to be the PCB but changing the sensor first is possibly the cheapest option.

Do you know where the repaired PCB came from?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Not sure where the pcb was sourced from. I have the receipt from at home so I'll take a look when i'm back from work. It is literally just out of warranty so it maybe worth a conversation. I will have the new sensor tommorrow pm. Thanks again for your help.

Maybe I'm being a little touchy here, but was mentioning an engineers name really required? :rolleyes:

Sorry. Just to be clear it is the company name and not an individual engineer. I have not got a bad word to say about the company at all - service has always been good. I will edit my original post so not to cause any offence.

No offence caused at all, I'm actually more surprised at Tony.
As you said service is all good, but on many occasions it can all go a little awry on here, and Tony didn't know which way it was going when he posted originally, mentioning bodies.

What surprises you Andy?

I dont see why boiler engineers should expect not to be named?

You will notice that I post in my real name and location! Unlike many others!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back