Glowworm Compact 80p locking out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can give me some input on this please, as I'm at my wits end!

We have a Glowworm Compact 80p Combiboiler, its about 10 years old, however most of the parts have been replaced over the years, "courtesy" of numerous British Gas callouts.

We had to call out BG again last Monday to look at a niggling intermittant fault - our hot water supply was intermittant and the boiler was making clicking noises as if the pilot light was trying to fire up. From previous breakdowns, we were pretty sure this was the Circuit Board which needed replacing (again).
Last Monday, he replaced a sensor and was going to come back the next day to replace the circuit board. that evening the boiler kept tripping out/locking out whenever it reached a certain temperature and we had to wait until the whole thing cooled down before resetting it.

He came back the following day, replaced the circuit board, insisting that would solve the locking out problem and left without waiting to check if it stayed on. Ten minutes later, it locked out again!

This went on all week, repeat visit each day, until Friday, when another engineer turned up and replaced the sensors. All appeared to be well........

I got home from work that night and the flat was quite chilly - however the heating was on, not locking out. Bizarrely however, the engineer had turned our room Thermostat up to 30C! Thinking he must have just forgot to turn it down again, I put it back to the usual temp of 21C.

Saturday morning, the boiler locked out again. :( This time however, it appeared to be random. Sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 3 hours and we don't have to wait until it cools down to reset it.

Not sure if the room thermostat thing is just a coincidence or if that is somehow connected to the fault of the boiler? Surely if the 'stat was working, the boiler would have been working full pelt to try to reach that temperature yet it wasn't - when I turned the thermostat temperature down it clicked at around 16C, not exactly warm!

Engineer is coming back again sometime today, this time I think to change the gas valve.

Any thoughts on what the problem might actually be? To stress, we had no problems with neither the room thermostat nor locking out before the engineer call out. The clicking noise has also stopped since the circuit board was changed.
So I have a strong suspicion that the issue of the boiler locking out is down to an error(s) on their part.

Sponsored Links
I am middle aged and a bit cantankerous and there's a dozen reasons why I can't be bothered to do the right thing sometimes. Everything's not as good as it was once so if you removed one problem to make me go better, something else would give more trouble instead.

Just like your boiler.

Intermittent problems are the worst to diagnose - those with the luxury of being able to swap parts to do it by elimination are in a lucky position. If it doesn't go wrong in front of the fellah, there's nothing much he can go on other than the "standard faults" which he'll be aware of.
It could be something simple which he should have found, like a dirty pilot flame.
It could be something obscure which nobody would find for ages like an intermittent connection within a wiring loom.
It could be nothing to do with the boiler, but an external electrical or gas thing.

Some "insurance" companies won't even turn up to an intermittent fault, so keep the faith and stick with them.

Please take my advice with caution as I am no expert.

I have a similar boiler to yours (80e) and developed similar symptoms after attempting a repair (replaced pump). Going to lockout while it tried to fire up.

From what I could make out, the most likely cause is an overheating issue, which could be caused by the pump not running correctly. In my case, draining system, removing and cleaning the needle assembly on the 3-way divert valve, replacing refilling bleeding etc. has solved the problem.

This might not solve your problem, but it's a fairly easy job for someone of low competence, and given the similarities between the symptoms it may be worth a shot.

Once again, I am no authority -just sharing my experiences.

I assume by "locking out" you mean the pilot is going off.

Has the heating burner pressure been correctly set? I range rate them although the book says not to bother.

Might be worth replacing the thermocouple and overheat thermostat (that interupts the pilot). Very much doubt there's an issue with the gas valve.

I've had new circuit boards straight out the box set up incorrectly at the factory, the temperature settings are wrong causing the boiler to overheat and cut the pilot. AFAIR the two larger pots on the board are the maximum DHW and HTG temperature. Get BG to talk to Glowworm...think they need setting about half way.

Sponsored Links
well the pilot light is staying on but it's not going "woof" (forgive my lack of technical speak!) and heating the water up. We have to press the gas button for it to fire up again and when it trips out, it makes a noticable clunk noise like a button switching off.

We did go through all this a few years back - hence how all the parts have been recently replaced and my lack of faith in the BG engineers - in that instance it did transpire that the circuit board were left on the factory default settings.
We mentioned this last week, as the problem seemed similar, however the engineer assured us that this was no longer the case. And besides, the fault started when he replaced the sensor, before the circuit board was replaced.

One noteable difference, following the numerous visits this week. At first the fault seemed to be temperature related, as we had to wait for it to all cool down before restarting it. Since the sensors were replaced on Friday, it now locks out randomly (worked for 3 hours last night, just 5 minutes this morning!) and we don't have to wait for it to cool down to restart it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back