Glowworm swiftflow 100 gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody hope you can help,
our boiler has developed a fault that has left us with no hot water and I have tried the heating and that doesn't work ether, although the pilot light remains lit.
when the boiler has power to it a loud fast clicking noise can be heard coming from the blue modulator coil on the gas valve .
We have replaced the gas valve complete with modulator with a used one from a working boiler and the fault remains .
we replaced the control board a few weeks ago and I remember that it made a similar noise for a few seconds when it first powered up .
hope you can help with this and thanks in advance for any advice given
Andy :)

Sponsored Links
Can you tell us exactly who replaced the gas valve and why they replaced it?

Tony

Hi mate thanks for looking into my problem, The gas valve was replaced by a mate of mine a retired gas engineer who has now gone fishing for a week.
He /we thought that the problem might be with the modulator coil as this was the part that was clicking, it sounds like a relay switching on off very fast .we confirmed that it was the coil by removing one of the wires and the clicking stopped ,we thought that the replacement pcb might be faulty as this is were the coil is fed from and we did have the problem of the clicking noise when we powered the boiler up when we replaced it .
thanks for looking Andy

:)

Perhaps in that situation it is difficult to blame him for a faulty diagnosis.

However, I would expect that the PCB was faulty and causing a varying voltage to the mod coil, hence the clicking.

But I would be diagnosing the problem with measurements and not just changing parts.

My view is that you need someone who can properly diagnose the problem by measurements.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony finding a " engineer " like that is like finding rocking horse ****e.

My advise is simple get a new boiler ya tight get. A swift flow at least 10 years old!

Sure, get a new steamer that won't even last 10 years :D

OP, you need someone who can repair instead of just change parts ;)

Look at the project cost and the decide if you need to repair or replace :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help and your opinions ,we are sorted, chanced my arm and got a new pcb and Agile was bang on the money fitted it and the old girl fired up no problem although the water is too hot so we will have to get that sorted.
the reason that we wanted to spend as little as possible is that we are having a new boiler, sited in a different room when we have a new kitchen but that won,t be later in the year so hopefully my 20 year old glowworm will keep on glowing until then, and once again thanks for your help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back