Grant outdoor vortex pump overrun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler is heating the hot water and central heating fine but there is a problem with the pump over run. It seems to run for a totally random amount of time from about 10 minutes to overnight.

I think that the overrun on this boiler is controlled by an electrical timer than a thermostat, is this correct?

Is this a simple fix?

Sponsored Links
Probably not overrun but a faulty programmer or zone valve.

Only the GRANT COMBI PRO model has a pump over-run faciltiy

External boilers have a Frost stat which fires the burner nad runs the pump when it's chilly out

But I suspect you have a sticky auxilary switch on one of your Motorised valves - classic symptoms! ;)

Sponsored Links
Only the GRANT COMBI PRO model has a pump over-run faciltiy

External boilers have a Frost stat which fires the burner nad runs the pump when it's chilly out

But I suspect you have a sticky auxilary switch on one of your Motorised valves - classic symptoms! ;)

Thank you.

Is there an easy way of testing for this or should I call someone out?

I am a very competent DIYer when I have a set of instructions to follow but too much of a wimp to poke around blindly!

common problem when people fit external boilers and connect onto 3 port valves. should be fitted onto two 2 port valves and have an auto bypass.

then when the frost stat calls it only pumps heat around the index circuit and the hot water or the heating.

By motorised valve, I assume you mean one of these:
28-71-home.jpg

If so, I don't seem to have one. Pictures of my boiler below:

How does a frost stat replace the need for a pump overrun? I thought a pump overrun was used to cool residual heat in the boiler and the frost stat used to prevent things freezing in the cold.

Frost stat does not replace pump overrun. It runs the pump in cold weather to stop freezing.

Ooh dear. A combination boiler.
Wouldn't take the gift of that heap of junk. I'd light an open fire and swing a cauldron above it first. :LOL:
Probably cost you a small fortune too!

Do you realise if you have the hot water on permanently that the boiler will fire up to maintain the heatstore temperature at random intervals?

Do you realise if you have the hot water on permanently that the boiler will fire up to maintain the heatstore temperature at random intervals?

I do. The problem is that the pump continues for an excessive amount of time once the burner shuts down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back