Grant vortex pro oil boiler -external -black smoke problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new grant vortex pro external boiler commissioned last month December , and it now pours out black smoke from the flue.
It now turned off.
The Grant engineer is due to visit.
As installer said it was too dirty for him to do so he got grant to come out
Must be well gunned up with carbon.
He suspected a faulty nozzle ?
I have an aga running fine at the moment on kerosene with Exocet oil additive

Does anyone have an idea what may have caused it to carbon up and if any lasting damage may have been caused. Or has anyone had a similar problem

Sponsored Links
Got to wonder whether the installer commissioned it correctly when he installed it, sounds like a bad fuel/air mix. Will be interested to know what Grant say about it, if you could report back

I will also be interested to hear what the problem turns out to be. I would have expected it is an installation/commissioning error but will keep an open mind.

Somehow I rather thought that Grant gave a free commission by their engineers on new boilers but perhaps that's only on larger models.

I do hope that your installer is not to blame as properly cleaning a sooted up boiler is a dirty task and the Grant engineer could be expected to make a charge of it was his error.

It will probably be a chicken and egg situation so that the boiler will need to be thoroughly cleaned before the fault can be identified.

Tony

Ok, chaps here is the reason why my boiler started omitting black smoke.
Firstly the grant engineer didn't blame the installer for any errors in commission .

After cleaning everything out for about 2 hours, that's on top of the installers engineer cleaning out for hour or so.

He fitted a new injector nozzle. If he did anything else he didn't say.
That if it goes wrong again to ring grant on the service tel. No. And they would come out.

Fair enough it's working fine now omitting nice white steamy smoke

Maybe the nozzles can be faulty ?

Thanks chaps

Sponsored Links
Well on the face of it replacing the nozzle solved the problem!

BUT black smoke indicates too much oil ( or too little air ! ).

The nozzle is in the simplest form a hole out of which oil is shot out. For too much then the hole would seem to have become larger. ( Or the pump pressure to have suddenly increased ! ).

That seems an unusual situation to occur within the first few weeks.

But perhaps some of those who mostly just work on oil boilers can offer a reason why this should have happened.

Tony

[quote="Agile";p="3006959"

The nozzle is in the simplest form a hole out of which oil is shot out.

Behind the 'hole out of which oil is shot', which in itself is a finely produced feature, there is a precision piece of engineering which atomises the spray.
Quite a lot to go wrong on such a simple piece of kit.

Yes, but I have always concluded that the volume of oil ejected is primarily determined by the size of the final hole in the jet ( and the pump pressure ).

So what could go wrong with the jet suddenly to cause a greatly increased volume of oil?

Yes, but I have always concluded that the volume of oil ejected is primarily determined by the size of the final hole in the jet ( and the pump pressure ).

So what could go wrong with the jet suddenly to cause a greatly increased volume of oil?

It will not be an increased volume of oil.
If one of the "Tangential slots" inside the swirl chamber becomes blocked.
The spray pattern and angle of spray will change, causing possible impingement onto the Blast tube or insufficient atomisation for complete combustion. Hence Black smoke and soot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back