Gravity System To Fully Pumped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently moved house and the oil boiler has packed in already.

Current system is a gravity system, so 4 pipes from boiler (feed and return to tank and feed and return to radiators).

I'm planning to get a condensing oil boiler to replace it but need to modify the pipework to make it fully pumped.

The attached diagram details the exisiting layout and my planned conversion layout.

Does the fully pumped drawing look to be correct?

Any advice will be much appreciated!
Thanks
View media item 56870

Sponsored Links
That would be ok but have you considered making the system a sealed system when you install the new boiler? this will give you a more efficient and reliable system and a greater choice of boilers (not all new condensing boilers are compatible with open vented systems) and you can do away with the F&E tank in the loft

You can't have the feed and vent pipes on opposite sides of the boiler.

Sponsored Links
You need to re-pipe the open vent and cold feed pipe in relation to the new pumps location.

It should be boiler, open vent, cold feed, pump on the flow. Need to fit an auto-bypass if using x2 2 port valves as well.

Would also tee in the cylinder return closer to the boiler and not straight in with the heating return (might get a bit hot in the summer :) )

Thanks for your replies!

My utility room contains the 4 pipes as previously described. Was hoping I'd be able to convert without running new pipes but it seems that may not be possible.

I've knocked up another pic. I think this takes into account your recommendations and would mean installing 1 additional pipe between utility and airing cupboard.

View media item 56914
Unless you eagle-eyed people can see an 'easier' way?!

Thanks again.

Use a 4 or 3 pipe system boiler. Seal the primaries and run the cylinder off the boiler's internal controls.

Atag Q series, or Vaillant would be my suggestion.

Followed by an Intergas on a correctly set out S-Plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back