Grundfos 15-50 pump suddenly noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have a traditional gas boiler, three way valve, vented heating and hot water system. In the last few days the pump has started making a mechanical noise like this (click to listen).

It always happens when the system kicks in at 6am, but then stops after a few minutes and everything seems normal but often the noise will return an hour or so later and carry on. If I stop the system and leave it for a few minutes, the noise continues when I restart it.

I've bled all the radiators multiple times to eliminate as much air as possible.

While it's making the noise, water is still being pumped and the radiators and hot water get warm.

The system was installed in 1991 when the house was built and I can't be sure it's the original pump, but it's been at least there since we moved in 8 years ago.

Is this likely to just be a dying pump, or is there something else I might have missed?

Thanks in advance,

badfloor (and yes, the floor is still bad)

Edit: Forgot to mention I've bled the pump too and water dribbles out.

Sponsored Links
It's usually rust and debris which has been circulating because of a lack of inhibitor, which finds its way into boilers and pumps.

I would add some inhibitor and take the pump apart to clean it. These are very simple machines and if you just wipe it out inside it might come good.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back