Grundfos 15 60 pump intermittent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Grundfos 15 60 pump which seems to be intermittent. It has got an manufacture date of September 2004 so I guess its been fitted for about 6 - 7 years.

Anyway, it stopped working a few days ago. I took to bleed cap off the pump and turned the impeller (if that is what it is called) with a screw driver, it was stuck but started to turn freely easy enough. The pump then worked fine for 24 hours.

It stopped working, so I checked to see if it was stuck again but it was free. I tapped it lightly and it started working. It now runs for a few minutes and then stops, there is power (240v AC) for the pump to run but is doesn't, if you tap it it runs but stops a few seconds / minutes later but it should still be running.

The pump gets extremely hot and the CH systems is noisy when starting and stopping, I bled the radiators - the water was clear.

Any idea why the pump is intermittent?

Why the CH system is noisy?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
http://net.grundfos.com/Appl/WebCAPS/custom?search=UP, UPS Series 100&userid=GMA&lang=ENU

For the cost of a new pump, it's worth just replacing like for like.
Follow the Grunfos web site for help. (Gundfos have made their web site more complicated by the looks of things)

Look at the 'siting of circulators' as often or not, they are not oriented correctly. The bearings are water lubricated and the pump has to be positioned as diagram. Check to see if your existing one is, that may explain noise/wear etc.

Noise from boiler may be just the water not circulating quickly enough due to failing pump.

If both isolating valves are working, an easy enough job. If not, more involved :D

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies.

I took the pump apart. One of the electrical connectors where the capacitor terminates had totally burnt out (that why a light tap and is made electrical contact and worked again for a short while), nothing for it but a new pump.

Fitted a new pump today, after cleaning system, everything working fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back