Have to hold in Button for Short flush on Toilet Cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a NEW dual flush toilet cistern and to I have to hold in the small button to make a short flush, the longer I hold it in the longer the flush but as soon as I let go it stops.
I have tried adjusting the short flush water level slider but it makes no difference.
Is this normal?

The long flush works fine, I can push this and let go and it will do a full flush.

Sponsored Links
Usually there are 2 adjustments on dual flush valves, one for the long flush duration the other for the short. Should state in the MI which is which and what way to adjust to shorten or lengthen each one.

Yes there are and I have tried adjusting the short flush as per instructions, it is also has it marked on the valve which is which and levels of adjustment but I still have to hold it in!

Sponsored Links
Hmmm....if you have adjusted it but it still won't short flush automatically then I'd be looking at getting a replacement.

Not that this helps you, but i do not fit valves or siphons that come with cisterns if they are from any of the big sheds, call back rate is too high.

Email the manufacturer/retailer and see what they suggest, they may send you a replacement.

OK I've now fixed it!

I found that the rod that comes out the button when you push the short flush was not long enough so here is a simple fix!

I drilled a small hole in the middle of the end of the rod and put in a small stainless steel self tapping screw, I then screwed it right in and started to undo it until it was the correct length to make it flush.

job Done!

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back