Heating not working after temporary removal of radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Betacom 30c combi boiler, the whole system is new, was installed about 2 years ago.
I removed a radiator for decorating, I drained it, tightened the lockshield valve, replaced the TRV with a decorator's cap, etc... However, I think I let quite a bit of water out of the pipe before isolating the TRV.... But I managed to re-pressurise the system and get the hot water working again with the rad off so I thought all was OK.

I've now put the rad back on. Bled all the rads in the house (twice, just to be sure!), re-pressurised the system (it's now at 1.5 bar, is that too high?). I've loosened the lockshield on the rad I removed too, and put the TRV back on.
All rads in the house are set to their hottest on their TRV's and the thermostat is set to 21 degrees, but when I turn the heating on, there's no heat in any of the rads. No heat in the pipes leading to the rads even!
Have I done something wrong?
Oh, the hot water is still fine, by the way.

Also, I read something in another post about putting the inhibitor back into the system. I didn't save it, should I buy some? Is that mega important?

Please help! It's getting chilly!

Thanks people.

Sponsored Links
I've turned the heating on at the actual boiler. It has 3 settings: Off, timer or permanently on. I turned it to permanently on.
It sounds like it's doing something, and when I look at the LCD display on the (separate) thermostat there's a picture of some little flames, which I assume means it's working. But still no heat in the rads! It make-a no sense-a!

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it normally would when the heating comes on. But nothing happens.

I mentioned it to the guy who came to fit my new carpet and he said something about having to drain the whole heating system when you remove a radiator? Is that true? I did not drain the whole system. : (

Yes. There's a green light under the word 'on'.
And when I flick the switch to the 'heating on all the time' setting it sounds like it normally does when the heating comes on.
One of the pipes leading out of the boiler is very hot, but still no heat going to any of the rads.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'it tries to light'?
There must be a flame in the boiler as the hot water is fine.

The left pipe coming out the boiler should get hot and after say 10 mins you will know if rads start to get warmer.
How long did you try for?

Did you shut the valves under the boiler when removing the rad, if so did you open them both?

I didn't do anything with the boiler before removing the rad.
After removing it I noticed there was no hot water so I put more water into the system by opening both valves on the 'loop' thingy.
When I put the rad back on, I realised the pressure had dropped again, but this time I only opened the left-hand valve on the loop, got it up to 1.3 bar, faffed about bleeding all the rads again, then realised my error and went back and opened both valves on the loop. This got it up to 1.5 bar. Is that too much? I've read it should be 1.3 or just over 1 bar when cold..?

Thanks for this by the way, I REALLY can't afford a plumber, so hoping to sort this out without getting one in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back