heating not working properly after fitting new pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my heating pump stopped working, after changing it i couldnt get all the rads to heat up, i would maybe get 2 or 3 hot upstairs but not all and none down stairs, i tryed shutting off all the upstairs rad valves to push the heat downstairs but no luck, no heat at all down stairs

would any1 have any advise on what to do or what i have done wrong thanks

the heating was working fine 3 weeks ago but i was away so it was sitting unused for 3 weeks

Sponsored Links
Have you bled the air out of the system?

Make sure the heating is off and bleed the air out of each radiator. Then bleed the pump by undoing the valve on the pump.

Restart the heating and see how it goes. You might need to repeat a few times.

Have you bled the air out of the system?

Make sure the heating is off and bleed the air out of each radiator. Then bleed the pump by undoing the valve on the pump.

Restart the heating and see how it goes. You might need to repeat a few times.

yes i bleed all the rads and pump

Sponsored Links
what was the fault that you replaced the pump in the first place ?

what was the fault that you replaced the pump in the first place ?

the pump stopped working so i replaced it, now im having this problem, i thought i had a bad airlock but just dont know, cant seem to get the heat moving threw the system

I am guessing that you have an open vented system i.e. your heating system is fed by a small tank in the loft as opposed to a filling loop with a pressure guage near the boiler ?

I am guessing that you have an open vented system i.e. your heating system is fed by a small tank in the loft as opposed to a filling loop with a pressure guage near the boiler ?

yes that is correct

I think that you may have a blocked cold feed, the small tank in your loft fills your CH system and there will be a tee piece on your system from a feed at the bottom of your F&E tank usually near the HW cylinder but not always, if you can find where this tank tees in see if a magnet will attract to the copper pipe where this is attached , if it does that is where your problem is it is blocked there

I think that you may have a blocked cold feed, the small tank in your loft fills your CH system and there will be a tee piece on your system from a feed at the bottom of your F&E tank usually near the HW cylinder but not always, if you can find where this tank tees in see if a magnet will attract to the copper pipe where this is attached , if it does that is where your problem is it is blocked there

thanks il try that... thought it was strange i was able to get heat to a couple of radiators upstairs so surly the system is full yet the hot water wont move threw the rest

it is usually your HW that doesn't work but it does sound to me that this might be your problem , an easy test is open the CH drain down if you have one and go into the loft and see if you can hear the F&E tank trying to refill the system , if you cant then you have a blocked cold feed

it is usually your HW that doesn't work but it does sound to me that this might be your problem , an easy test is open the CH drain down if you have one and go into the loft and see if you can hear the F&E tank trying to refill the system , if you cant then you have a blocked cold feed

ok thanks, i supose theres no easy way to unblock it?

When you changed the pump, did you close the isolation valves either side.
If you did, it should not have a affected any other part of the system in my opinion.
The second point is, are both isolation valves fully open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back