HELP!! Alpha boiuler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an alpha ocean 280E boiler. Over the years its had a habit of turning its self off and then on again during heating the hot water and the rads. Its slowly got worse and worse and now when I run a tap it fires for a few seconds, about 10, then the flame modulates, fluctuates and then it turns off. The water runs for a few minutes and it lights again for a few seconds and then off. Pretty much unusable. This is true of the central heating now also. Its gone through cycles of doing this and then seems to right itself again for a few weeks then starts playing up again. This is the worse its ever been.

I've had four different engineers (all CORGI registered) and on their advice replaced the following, Temp sensors, both hot water and central heating, the pump, DHW flow diaphragm, air pressure switch, over heat sensor & main PCB.

the heat exchanger has been flushed. The burner cleaned. The gas pressure tested and set correctly, the system flushed with cleaner and inhibitor, The flue checked. The fan checked.

Each engineer says that they are sure its whatever they say it is then when that makes no difference, shrugs and says 'just get a new boiler mate'. I practically have a new boiler!! I've just replaced it bit by bit........I also don't have the money to replace it and since it was put in the building regs have changed. The flue runs through a false ceiling so that would have to be trapped for inspection too.

The only parts not changed are the gas valve and water diverter valve. Also when the hot water does run the rads get a little bit warm and when I turned up the central heating thermostat it worked ok for a few days, even though the heating was actually switched off. This may have just been a coincidence though and it soon packed up completely again

Is it worth changing the modulating coil and/or the gas valve (i wouldn't obviously do the gas valve myself)? If they were faulty would the symptoms be like this? One engineer, after suggesting the air pressure switch then suggested this but the next one completely disagreed and said its was 'defo the pump, mate, no question'. It wasn't the pump. I have a nice new pump now....

Each part I've been recommend to buy I've been unable to return so now am reluctant to go down the 'yeah try that mate. Oh it didn't work? Oh well, yeah just get a new boiler mate' route, again.

Any help gratefully received I'm at my wits end.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
always choose a company with a no fix no fee policy when it comes to repairs, boils my pi55 when this happens to people!
also the flues in voids reg is retrospective to include any boiler flue in an enclosed space and so your engineers should have advised, switched off (with your permission) and issue a warning notice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back