Help fitting a new mixer bar shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after some much needed advice. We have just moved into a new house and the bar mixer shower in the en suit is broken. I have been out and purchased a triton shower from wicks.

The problem is that I have removed the old shower and has left me with 15mm plastic tube with a nut and olive compressed onto it. In the new shower box there are two stepped dog legged fittings needed to step up from the 15mm tube up to 3/4 bsp. However when the dog legged fittings are screwed into the nut and olive then the shower bar onto the the adaptor the shower stands around 3 inches from the wall. Also with the connections being plastic pipe the weight of the shower bar is bending the pipes.

I have searched the Internet all afternoon but can come up with a solution. What I need is some way of screwing a fitting onto the nut and olive that enables me to secure it to the wall but at the same time stepping it up to 3/4bsp. Triton do a push fit fitting that would be superb but there is already a nut and olive on the pipeso the push fit won't push on.

Please help as I'm going out of my mind.

Sponsored Links
Go to screwfix and get yourself a bar mixer fitting kit.

Cut the olive off and pull the nut off and fit the kit.

How much spare pipe have you got ?
Give us a pic.

Not much spare pipe only around 15mm - 20mm sticking out of the wall

Will try and get a picture tomorrow. That looks exactly what I need but don't think I will have enough pipe.

You can get this with a fitting for nut/olive.

But as said if you can get enough spare pipe the first option is more neater.

Sponsored Links
The only problem I have is that the nut is proud of the wall so the bracket won't fit flush with the wall.

Is there anyway of removing the olive from the pipe without damaging the pipe. That way I could fit your first suggestion. I can't find them on the screwfix website though.

The only problem I have is that the nut is proud of the wall so the bracket won't fit flush with the wall.

What type of wall is it ?
Is it brick/block and the pipes are slid in wall or plasterboard and you can move the pipes around.

Is there anyway of removing the olive from the pipe without damaging the pipe. That way I could fit your first suggestion. I can't find them on the screwfix website though.

You just cut the olive off, But 15mm pipe exposed is not enough for them to fit on.

These are the toolstation ones.
BAR MIXER KIT.

What type of wall is it ?
Is it brick/block and the pipes are slid in wall or plasterboard and you can move the pipes around.

You just cut the olive off, But 15mm pipe exposed is not enough for them to fit on.

I'll find the link. ;)

It's a stud wall I think with tiles over the top. Don't really want to damage the tiles as this would mean re-tiling the whole shower.

Might try and chip som of the tiles away so the nut will fall back flush with the wall and the fit the second option.

If it's a stud wall have you not extra play on the pipes in the wall or where ever they come from ie loft etc ?

If not as you say you can take a tad off the tile hole.

There is a bit of movement on the pipe but I don't want to pull in to hard in case they had used a pushfit 90 on the other end of the pipe and I dislodged it causing a leak inside the wall.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate your help and speedy replies. I'm a hydraulic pipe fitter so I was expecting this job to be easy but its really stumped me lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back