Help- has an engineer just broken my boiler !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got an old boiler admittedly but have had british gas homecare cover for years and over that time they have practically rebuilt it with spares. It has been running fine but blew a fuse this morning.

I rang them and the engineer came out and changed the fuse and then started bashing around and scraping with a screwdriver.

He then said there is a little hole in the flue and condemned it!

i have a detector in the room that has never gone off.

Do you think he could have damaged it or would it just be wear and tear?

Sponsored Links
Ask to speak with his supervisor if in doubt. He may have done you a favour, but get another opinion.

If the flue looked suspect as a MOT inspector does on the car
the engineer just poked at it with his screwdriver to
see how robust the flue was.

There is a difference between poking at it and bashing it though.

A fault on the flue would be very dangerous.

For safety reason if it was faulty in the 1st place then I agree it should be be condemned but I am wondereing if he caused the problem by forcibly bashing and scraping it, there was debris coming off!

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler obsolete? Are parts available, and what boiler is it?
Wouldn't be a Elan would it?

If the flue was faulty would the detector have gone off?

Thanks

Probably not... A detector isn't there to tell you when to change your boiler, it is your LAST LINE OF DEFENSE before you collect your wings.... I have condemned plenty of boilers due to a rusty flue and if the gasman has scraped off a layer of lose rust and found the flue to be perforated, then good on him, perhaps you would like to thank him.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends where, what type, and what condition the detector is in, how large the fault witht the flue was, ventilation. Impossable to say.

Thanks

Yes but would you rather have the flue fail and the gases start coming
out at you or the flue in good condition knowing the
flue is serviceable.
Or using my car simile
Would you rather be driving around in your car knowing
the wheel isn't going to fall off or it is on it's last legs and may fall
of at any point in the future. But that won't matter because I will
just crash!

You need to think the boiler in the corner isn't a nice little heating machine. It is a controlled killer who will jump out at you and murder
you given half the chance.

There have been reported deaths where safety devices have failed
to shutoff appliances or give warnings due to their position or faults.

dcawkwell";p="2311458 said:
There have been reported deaths where safety devices have failed
to shutoff applicants or give warnings due to their position or faults.

Perfect example of this is the fire I cut off and capped yesterday, burning away merrily with the oxygen depletion sensing pilot quite happy, the room was marked with soot staining, air read very high for CO and the couple living there blissfully unaware that the headaches and tiredness were classic symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.... Yet the safety device did nothing, perhps if the concentration had gotten a little higher it may have worked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back