Help - how do I replace this toilet seat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time posting on this forum, and im sure a very basic question!

I need to replace the toilet seat (see picture below), but I cant see how its attached. There are no screws underneath. I have tried just lifting it off, but don't want to break it.

If I buy a new seat is there a special name for the connection I need based on the photo?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Hi.

Can you see the plastic back nut under? Or you can't see at all?

It might be a blind fixing bolts. See if you can take the cover off behind toilet seat or look for Allen screw around the cover behind seat.

Ask for blind fixing bolts kit. Some toilet seats have it with it.

Dan

Lift the seat up and see if there are any 'tabs' at the side of the hinges. If there are, push the tabs in and lift the toilet seat up off of the spindles. remove the cover and then you should be able to unscrew the expanding bolts which go through the holes.

Sponsored Links
A side on pic would have been better... dont say that its a back to wall pan! :eek: If you can see the bolts underneath and if they are brass/stainless steel, then you should be able to undo the securing clamping nuts or wingnuts. The long plastic bit that hides the top of the fix thru fixings you should be able to crack open with a short flat headed screwdriver to expose the top part of the fixings to remove entirely. Dont chuck the old fixings. I'd suggest keeping these. If you can re-use any of the old seat fixings/parts if your new loo seat doesnt come supplied with metal threaded fix thru bolt, but has nasty plastic ones you may wish to consider, if useable, re-using the old loo seat fixings.
The new seat is usually simple to fit they are usually but not always more or less equal size and there should be a tolerance to allign the new seat just in case the pans are a wee bit (pardon the pun geddit? wee!) slightly different in size.
If you are considering purchasing a soft closing seat as a replacement, take the old one off fiorst and take it with you to ensure a good match size and shape wise. Dont lose the allen key(s) if new seat is supplied with these to enable fixing :oops: wrap a coupla turns of colored tape around as a reminder n keep em somewhere safe. Even good quality posh slow close seats have an inevitable tendency to loosen over time.

Back in blighty tomorrow... adios Ca

Thanks for all your help :D

I have taken a photo of the side of the hinge with the lid up.

Does this make it clearer?

If I remove the plastic plugs and unscrew does this allow me to remove the whole seat and fixing, or just the lid?

Can't see any fixing screw.....

Can you take a pic of the side of pan, not front?

I reckon the seat could had been fitted first to pan and then fitted pan to floor.

Try this, use a mirror ( make-up mirror ) and a torch and see what the fixing look like behind pan.

Dan.

afair you should be able to remove the lid via the hinges. I think the pins holding the lid to the bracket on the pan should come out.
Then the cover plate on the bracket should pop off.

If you zoom into the last image it looks as if there are plugs in the holes which may give access to a bolt or pin to allow removing the seat from the hinge bracket.
Does it, maybe, have similar plugs pushed in on the outside of the holes too ? If so then they would gently prise out with a stanley blade or chisel.
If this is the means to remove the seat then once it is off, then the fitting for the bracket may become obvious.

Is there a make on the seat or the toilet ?

andytw

yapofire, did you ever figure this one out? I have what looks like an identical seat and I'm also struggling to remove it. No manufacturer's mark that I can see, and the plugs/caps don't seem to want to come off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back