HELP!! - RAIN WATER COMING IN VIA BOILER VENT!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, :confused:

Can anyone tell me if they know anyone who has had the problem of rain water coming in the house through the boiler outside vent?

I have had this problem now 7 times in the last 3 years!

The water washes through the whole boiler system, often then cuts the electricty system, eventually ends by flooding the floor inside the house in all the surrounding areas near to the boiler!

I don't know of anyone else who has experienced this! I have also asked two plumbers in the past if they had ever heard of this problem - no they hadn't either!

This was a new boiler (Ideal) installed in 2009 by Homeserve. The problem didn't start to happen until a month after the guarantee expired!

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! :idea:

Thanking you in advance.

Sponsored Links
The flue is incorrectly installed and shouldn't have any bearing on the warranty (I would have thought).

Can you just write a plain post? Farting around with colours and font size is just annoying and makes your read harder to read.

Tah.

Thanks Dan,

Yes it was indeed fitted by Homeserve!! So Im assuming you have encountered this before! I thought it was something to do with the fitting etc. I will be contacting them now!!

I will post some pictures up later today.

And sorry re my font!! first time i posted on here and didn't know it was going to look that bad! lol!

Thanks again Dan.

Sponsored Links
No worries...

Make sure you get nice clear pictures of the flue terminal (outside) - I wonder if the air inlet is not orientated correctly?

i bet the gutter is leaking all over the shop and dripping into the air intake, exact same scenario at a friends house yesterday

No its not placed anywhere near the gutter! i think maybe its been positioned wrong like Dan said and/or maybe the seal not sealed properly?!

sorry guys too much rain today for pictures! ill try tomor!

is the condensate from the boiler connected to the rain water down pipe, and that is blocked and so backing up through the boiler.

I went to a boiler with that fault.

Seemed like an easy repair but then it started raining and the downpipe needed cutting off as it was too long.

Tony

I have had exactly the same problem and don't know what to do? My kitchen has flooded twice and the boiler is dripping wet and needs drying out again! The rainwater is pouring through the vent. My plumber suggested putting a makeshift roof about two feet above the top of the vent so the rainwater doesn't pour directly down into the vent and falls outwards instead. Very frustrating as I just got the boiler serviced a couple of days ago for new tenants moving into our property after the weekend and I'm going to have to get the plumber out again if I can't get the pilot lit.! Did you find a solution Rachel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back