Honeywell Diverter Broken Again? (V4073A1039)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have one of these on our system, and it seems to have gone faulty. Just tested it last night and we are getting central heating only.

This is the second one to have gone on us in a couple of years! Last time the whole unit was replaced, including the valve.

I have taken the top of the motor and the sliding switch on the side doesn't do anything. It just moves.

Is there anything else I can do to try and fix it? Or do I need another new one.

Is there a reason it keeps going? We hardly ever use the hot water side of things, but will be starting to use it more regularly over the next few weeks. Is that the reason?

If I need a new one, wheres best/cheapest to get one?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Just tested it last night and we are getting central heating only.
If you are getting CH only the valve is ether the wrong way round or it's stuck open.

Check that the valve is the correct way round. The three ports are marked A, B and AB on the brass part. AB is the input from the boiler/pump; A should go to the CH and B to the HW cylinder.

Remove the cover then undo two screws in opposite corners. You can then lift the actuator off. You should be able to turn the valve spindle easily by hand (less than a quarter turn in total). Use silicon lubricant (NOT WD40) to free a stiff spindle.

I have taken the top of the motor and the sliding switch on the side doesn't do anything. It just moves.
Is the lever always very loose - no effort needed to move it? If so the valve is probably stuck open.

Cheers, yes the lever was totally loose, no resistance at all.

I took the top off and gave it a quick clean up, and bang, seems to be working ok again!

Is it just getting stuck when we are not using the heating/hot water?

Should I put a bit of silicon lubricant in to loosen it up?

I took the top off and gave it a quick clean up, and bang, seems to be working ok again!
Did you remove the actuator and check the spindle is free? If it was, then you don't need silicon lubricant.

Is it just getting stuck when we are not using the heating/hot water?
Probably getting stuck because it's always in the same position. (You said that you hardly ever use the hot water.)

A mid-position valve has the unusual feature that it stays in the CH position when heating has been satisfied and only returns to the HW position when HW is called or the power is completely turned off.

Sponsored Links
I will take it off and try again. Its the spindle on the top of the valve, after you take the top unit off - correct?

Would a bit of lithium grease be ok?

It's the spindle on the top of the valve, after you take the top unit off - correct?
It's the bit about an inch long which sticks out of the brass body.

Would a bit of lithium grease be ok?
Not advisable. Any petroleum-based grease will damage the seals round the valve spindle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back