Honeywell ST9400c failed. How do I upgrade to WiFi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
My programmer seems to have a fault.
When the heating is called for, I'm finding that the Honywell is not firing the output to the valve motor.
But if I give the controller a gentle tap with my finger (in the top right hand corner) where the relays are, the output kicks in and the valve is driven open to start the boiler.

I've dabbed fresh solder onto the contacts of the relays but still same problem.
Hot water relay seems fine.

So it seems that the CH relay is sticking. Has anyone come across this before?

The Honeywell is not even two years old.

I was thinking, as I need to replace it, this would be a good time to get one of those WiFi enabled systems.

But what do I replace it with? From searching the web, it seems the WiFi enabled bit is the thermostat, not the programmer? Is that right?
My existing wireless thermostat seems fine.

What do I need to go WiFi?

Sponsored Links
What you replace, with what, depends on several factors; budget, what you want from your system, type of system etc.

It's an unvented system.
I want to be able to switch the heating on and off via smartphone from anywhere in the house. Control of water would be nice too if possible.
Not really sure on budget at this point as don't really know what I need. Maybe 150 pounds?

Saw a couple of youtube vids showing Honeywell devices in USA. They look good, but don't seem to be available on Honeywell's UK site.

We know phone operated systems as remote heating controls (that's british gas) mainly to distinguish it from wireless controls, which are not phone/internet controllable.
Invensys make them, at least for heating dont know about for hot water.

Sponsored Links
Heatmiser seem to make them too.
But I'm confused. From what I can gather, the Wifi programmable thermostats replaces the need for a 7 day programmer. But my existing programmer is in the airing cupboard with thermostat downstairs in hallway.
If I bin my existing failed Honeywell and replace with one of these programmable stats, the heating would never come on as airing cupboard is always really warm.
That can't be right, surely?

Wireless controls have a transmitter and a receiver, it's the receiver that goes in the airing cupboard.
You would still nee a timer for HW.

I'm not after a wireless thermostat, I'm after a WiFi one.
But from what I can see, the programmable WiFi enabled stats replace your traditional programmer.
My concern is, what good would a thermostat be in an airing cupboard?That's why I think I'm misunderstanding things.

No mate, you still have the remote stat. For internet connection you also have a hub plugged into router, everything is, as if by magic, synced and off you go.

I'm still not getting this.
I currently have a wireless stat that sends a signal up to the receiver in the airing cupboard. When stat set point is reached (and the timer is set to CH on), the heating comes on.
But as my timer has failed, I want to replace it (and existing stat if necessary) to make it controllable via WiFi.
I just can't figure out what I need to do this.

With the system we use the stat is also the programmer so the prog in your airing cupboard would be redundant for CH.
You wouldnt be able to use your existing stat as it would need to be able to receive instructions from hub.
You would need to purchase a complete kit; programable stat, receiver and hub.
You might want to keep existing prog for HW control.

OK that makes sense.
Who makes these kits? Where do I buy from?

I believe invensys make the ones we use, probably get them from any decent plumbers merchant.

You have WiFi enabled control of your heating system in your house?

No, not even got a smart phone to control it if I did have

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back