hot water cylinder sounds like has trapped air

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hope someone can help me

I have an old central heating set up. Small tank in loft for radiators and big tank in loft to immersion in airing cupboard, boiler in kitchen

Not really sure how it all works but when I put the boiler on for either hot water or Central heating i will hear water running from loft into immersion which is fine but it's making a sort of banging sound like air is trapped until the water reachs its temp then the noise will stop. There is no air when I run the hot water taps.

Any ideas as if I fill the bath the process will start again and it's right next to immersion its quite loud

Thank you

Sponsored Links
not really sure what you are asking ? an immersion is a small electrical element that is fitted into a Hot water cylinder to heat it electrically

The noise is coming from the hot water cylinder but only while the water is heating up.
I'd ideally like to find out what the problem is to fix it its been doing it a few months.

Is the Hot water cylinder heated by the gas heating system or the immersion you talk about or both at the same time ?

Sponsored Links
The switch for the immersion is off. I use the boiler to select hot water only or hot water and central heating. Hope I'm making sense

Water is permanently in the cylinder/immersion tank. water will only flow to it from the header tank when you turn on a hot tap, not when you call for CH or DHW.

When you call for DHW, hot water from the boiler will go through a coil in the cylinder. This may be suffering from kettling, but I think that's rare in a coil.

Check small of two cisterns (tanks) has water in it, and if so drain some water off from the central heating system and then check the small cistern refills as it should.

Banging usually indicates a lack of water in the system. Either faulty ballvalve on F&E (small) cistern, or if this appears ok and contains water, then often a blocked cold feed preventing system from topping itself up as required. Would recommend boiler is not used until matter has been rectified, using it with insufficient water in the system could be dangerous, the water remaining within the system is being boiled quite rapidly, hence the banging. Use immersion for hot water for time being.

The water in the bigger cistern and cylinder is separate from that within the heating system and boiler. Drawing water off to fill a bath will cause the boiler to fire to heat the colder water drawn in to replace that you've drawn off for the bath, and the banging will recommence!

There is enough water in both tanks in loft and when I push the ball down it fills. It only makes the noise on and off for bout half an hour when boiler fires up until water reach its temp. If I don't use the hot it won't do it again and can have heating on for hours without a noise. Our central heating is very old. Had someone out last year as we had kettling noise from our boiler, we put a inhibitor in the small tank and the air mixture need adjusting. We drained the system etc ourselves the guy just looked over the boiler and the guy just did the mixture everything been fine since. A year before that we changed the pump on the cylinder.

Can you put videos on here as could post up the noise it doesn't sound same noise as boiler was making. More gurgling with the odd bang?

Just put central heating on and the cylinder didn't make the noise water must still be warm from this morning as not really used any.

Did a few tests it only makes the noise when the cylinder is filling up when hot water is on.If I turn the hot water off and wait for the cylinder to fill up it doesn't make the noise. So when running a bath I'm turning heating off for a while and putting it back on an hour later. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back