United Kingdom
Hi,

System:

Thermostat = Honeywell T40
Controller = Drayton LP522
3 way Valve = Drayton MA1
Boiler (3 yrs old) = Vailliant Ecotec 428

Issue:

System been working for 3 years fine but now no central heating working but water is normal, the boiler reports S.30 'No heating demand from external controls (clamps 3-4 open)'.

Symptoms:

When I request hot water via the timed function or constant via the controller I get hot water. When I request heating I get nothing at all, the valve on the 3 way mid position valve does not move from water. When this started 2 weeks ago I could get the valve to move to heating only by: 1. Select water, wait 10 seconds, select heating, wait 10 seconds, unselect water, at this point the vale would move to heating. This was the only way to get it to move to heating only. If I wanted heating and water I would as the valve was passing over the mid position select water again. However in the last few days this no longer works and when I try the above it will not move from water to the mid position.

What I have tried:

I removed the mid valve control/motor part and could easily and freely move the valve by hand. I bought a replacement Drayton MA1 mid valve unit and it behaved the same. So I thought maybe the controller so I bought and tried a new Drayton LP522 and it made no difference it is the same. I have checked and reconnected all the wires. The boiler seems fine and is reporting no errors. I have only checked the wires on the thermostat but not yet replaced. I have set the valve to the mid position and locked with the manual override and no heating at all only when I select hot water. I have currently put all the old bits back on the system and using hot water to heat the house.

Help:

Please provide any advice as I have run out of ideas at this stage, any checks/tests I can run, any more information I can provide to help.

NB - I do not have a multimeter

Sponsored Links
First thing to check, 240v on white to valve.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - Silly Question but never read from a system like this.

How do I read from the white wire?

(want to avoid wasting time so rather ask than mess around getting false results or short it)

Do you have a multimeter yet?
And do you know how to use one, SAFELY?

Hi - I am going to get one in the next hour or so. Yes I work on big computer server system so have experience.

Turn heating and hot water on at programmer (you need both on as there is no HW off from prog) turn room stat up. Check voltage (AC) across white and neutral, what reading do you get?

How do I read from the white wire?
All the wires will (should?) go into a large junction box (aka wiring centre).
Remove the cover and you will see which terminal the white wire from the valve is connected to. Measure between valve white and valve blue.

You should get 240Vac when heating is ON at the programmer and the room stat is turned UP. In all other cases you should get 0Vac.

If you don't get 240Vac, you need to check the voltage from the CH ON terminal of the programmer and at the room thermostat.

Hi - Firstly thanks all for the support.

I have taken the following readings from the valve white & blue:

Both off = 000
Heating only = 000
Water only = 024
----------------------
Water on then Heat = 024
Heath then water = 024
----------------------
Heat and water then water off = 242

I will now take the reading from the other parts as requested.

You can't test those without the face on. The programmer switches the voltage To the pair of wires on the right. You need to test where the wires terminate ie the room stat end
Check there continuity between common and demand terminal at the stat when it's calling for heat
There should be a wiring diagram on the back of the faceplate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back